Overreacting
Two postings in one day. That never happens.
Just a few moments ago, I got a call from "Unknown Caller", who proceeded to tell me I had filled out a form last April and won a prize. He claimed to be in Buffalo, New York. He read me my name and address and telephone number. He asked me to verify it. I did not. Instead, I opted to yell at him that this was a scam like I get on my email about how I've won millions of dollars in the Dutch lottery I also never entered. Over his "no, no, no, no", I told him never to call me again. Then I called Bell.
After dealing with bloody Emily, I spoke to an actual person who made me see that this was probably a telemarketing trick and not likely a scam. I am now very amused with myself. The person to whom I spoke was also amused. We spent a minute chatting about various ways to screw with telemarketers and then hung up.
So.
This reminds me of the first telemarketer I ever spoke to. I was 17 and was in my grandmother's room. She had lived with us before her death and I had taken over her phone. One day, someone called and asked form Mrs. E.
"Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. Did no-one call you? Gosh, her funeral was last month. It was very nice. Everyone was there. I'm so sorry to be breaking it to you like this."
She tumbled over herself telling me it was alright.
I wonder how I'm going to outdo myself next time. I feel really dense right now.


11 Comments:
I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. If I wind up talking to a telemarketer I either say "put me on your don't call list" or I tell them I am moving to Denver. One time I had a lovely chat with some guy about what the best neighborhoods in Denver were. He was very concerned that hubbie had been transferred and we would have only 2 weeks to find our new house in Denver. I almost felt bad being completely dishonest with him.
Wow, you are one of the few I know that actually pulled that funeral bit off! I'm uber impressed!!!!
I don't answer Unknown Callers. Or any number that I don't know, for that matter. I screen big time. :)
Swami: I try not to lie. I just tell them not to call me. I used to lie, but I suck at it, so I had to give it up. :-)
Kim: I'm afraid that I didn't know she was a telemarketer. And my grandmother had actually died. However, many people have said it's a good idea. I actually felt badly about it for years, thinking the poor woman was just doing her job.
Jen: Generally, I don't answer Unknown Caller either, but I'm getting a lot of calls from UC, so I started to answer to tell them to f*ck off. They (always someone different) are apparently calling on behalf of Bell Sympatico about switching my Internet. My dad pays for it, so it's up to him. Every time they ask me what I pay for internet I say "zero dollars per month", which amuses me because it's true and now they think I'm a criminal. The point is that I thought it was them calling again and I was ready to start asking for their supervisors' names.
Hey Seana! Sorry I haven't been by to see you lately. Bad lights.
Happy Belated Birthday! And Happy New Year too!
Tell the DH that the axe murderer says hi!
I just don't answer unknown callers anymore. I figure if its something important they'll leave a message. I love my call display.
My son was a telemarketer for a little while so I try to think of him when I do end up talking to one. I still don't let them sell me anything but I try to be nice to them. *grin*
Most of the telemarketers who call here think we own property at our old apartment, and they want us to refinance the loan on our house.
I sometimes lie and tell them the loan is paid off, and they don't want to speak to me anymore. Other times, I just ask them to put me on the do not call list.
The ones who really irritate me are the ones who can't pronounce Sylvia correctly, and they always sound like outsourced calls from India. They usually say "Saalllvia". I correct them to no avail, because they just repeat "Saalllvia" in a nasally twang.
When I first got married, I was still listed in the phone directory under my maiden name. This worked pretty well, because I knew when they asked for me by my maiden name and the voice was one I didn't recognize, they were telemarketers.
The phone company wanted to charge me about 17 dollars to change my name in their directory. I told them, no thanks.
We don't understand why you have to pay extra to not be listed in the phone book.
Comedian/storyteller Carl Hurley has some great ideas for dealing with telemarketers. I couldn't do them justice here.
I don't have caller ID. I guess I live in the dark ages. Fortunately, I have a young-sounding voice and most telemarketers ask to speak to my mom or dad.
I wan once that I was dead and then they asked me to send the death certificate. I didn't use that one again.
I have a friend who, as soon as she knows it's a marketer, she instantly acts as if she is, um, mentally incapacitated? And then she acts excited as if she has won something. They usually just tell her they are sorry and then they nicely hangup.
I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., once you say "put me on your do not call list" they are REQUIRED to stop the sales pitch immediately. It is by far the best way to get rid of a telemarketer. I am astonished how completely effective it's been for me.
LOL @ Carey! I just don't answer here. If they keep calling, I sometimes will answer and then hold a button on the phone down for a while so they get the loud obnoxious sound. Then I go back to not answering.
Post a Comment
<< Home