Thursday, December 21, 2006

Fun Day

So if you've been to the SS thread you know my SS gift came today. So yay! I ate most of the chocolate already. Don't tell the Bloggest Losers. I guess I have to do extra work on the Bowflex tonight.

Today was also the Holiday Assembly at the kids' school. Now, you have to understand that before our school was split into JK-3 and 4-8, parental involvment was kinda low. I can't even be self-righteous, because I considered DS my primary responsibility and didn't help out at the school either. Anyway. I've already said how thrilled I am with all the people who turn up to help out with the Breakfast Program. Additionally, we have a number of in-classroom helpers for JK and SK. This is especially cool when you realise that to volunteer in the school, you have to have a police check which you have to pay for yourself. It's only $15, but still.

So my point is that the assembly was packed with parents and grandparents and whoever else. Packed. They were standing on their tippy toes outside the gym door. There was a bake sale and the tables were full. Full. They had to come and take our tables from the breakfast room. They stole all our trays, too. I contributed a cake and some cupcakes to the sale. They sold everything.

Side note: I found these spiffy tree-shaped cake pans made of tin foil. They came with plastic lids. How cool is that?

Bragging: the cake was intended for the raffle, but they said the cupcakes were too nice to sell for $0.25, so they went to the raffle too.

Non-bragging: it's not really hard to cover a cupcake in large stars and then stick a couple flowers on top. It was just a mix cake anyway.

More bragging: the flowers were pointsettias. I made them out of buttercream, because royal icing is gross. I even used the cake sparkle thingies. They looked pretty cool.

More non-bragging: but in the end, it was still just a mix. I can't make cake to save my life. Hard as stone, every. single. time.

More presents: the Vice Principal gave us breakfast ladies a thank-you present! A coffee mug and some certificates for Horton's.

Assembly: the kids were all great! I get all teary-eyed at kids singing at Christmas. The SK class did a Hawaiian dance. It was so cute! DS's JK class sang three songs, including one that had a lot of mumbled words and then a part that went "HA HA HA! HO HO HO! SANTA'S COMING TONIGHT I KNOW!" DS was nervous, but DD, who is an old pro because of ballet, explained to him about stage fright and actually made him feel better about it. That's my Big Girl! Her class was the last one up. They did the three songs that I've been hearing from 3pm to 8:45pm every. single. day. "The teacher said to practice, Mom!"

It's been a good day.

11 Comments:

At Friday, December 22, 2006 2:44:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

As usual, your cuteness overwhelms me.

Yay for you on great cupcakes!

I loved being an involved parent at the kids school. I know which kids to keep a close eye on as they get older. ;-)

How nice to have so many attend the assembly. Hopefully the support will continue.

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 8:16:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

YAY for good days. And I'm glad that I can come here without fear of catching the cold. *grin*

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Zombs said...

SEana is filled with the Christmas spirit!

Those cupcakes sound so pretty(Knowing your cake decorating skilss)! I agree about the mix though!

I made jello for my kids class. I put it in small dixie cups. Not fancy icing though! :)

I think it is so important for parents to be involved with their kids school. It benefits everyone and not only your own kids.

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 9:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you are back and are feeling better.

Enjoy the goodies while you can. *grin*

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger Schnookie said...

It all sounds wonderful! YAY!

You should have taken pics of your cupcakes.

Your DD sounds awesome. How cute to explain stage fright to your DS.

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 1:09:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

MM: I think you're cute too. And you're right - knowing the kids means knowing which ones not to invite to birthday parties and such. :-)

Hi Carey! Yes, the cold is mostly gone. You will no longer need to bathe in Purell when you come here.

I never thought of Jello. That's a good idea. You try to think of something different to send to the class parties because everyone always sends cookies or cupcakes.

Thanks Boohoo. Really, I'm sure if I just do a couple extra reps... I mean, how many calories could one little chocolate possibly have? *grin*

Schnookie: would you believe I totally forgot to take a picture? I *always* take a picture. The idea is that one day I will be really good at this and I can track my progress. This was a new thing and I didn't take a picture.

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 7:44:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

The cupcakes sound gorgeous! Box or not, they were too beautiful to sell to little grubby hands for 25 cents.

And, I can't make a cake from scratch either. *shrug*

Merry Christmas to you and the family!

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 7:46:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

By the way, speaking of "different" things to take to holiday school parties...Rotten1 insisted we take pickles to school for his party. *shakes head* So. We did.

 
At Saturday, December 23, 2006 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Yeay for cute kid school programs! Ours don't do much like that... DS had a band concert last week, he plays the Tuba! It was awesome actually!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

 
At Sunday, December 24, 2006 12:39:00 PM, Blogger mtw said...

*smooch*
*smooch*
*smooch*

Merry Christmas, Seana!

 
At Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:37:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Awww, what a great post! It's filled with holiday spirit. Your family is so lucky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home