Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fugly

That's the word to describe fashion for girls aged 8 to 12 this season. Honestly, I have been to Zeller's and WalMart looking for a Holiday Outfit for DD and it's awful out there. If it was just the colours, maybe I could live with it, but the style is dreadful too. Wrinkled brown satin skirts with lacy pink bows? Yack. Magenta velour with pouffy velour ruffles at the hips? Gick. Otherwise perfectly nice pink slip dress covered in diamond and triangle patterned brown lace? Ugh.

I'm not a fan of the brown/pink combo. Some years back I didn't like the brown/blue combo either.

The point is that now I might have to try Sears or The Bay for her outfit. Blech.

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:39:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

You'll probably find the same styles and colors. Tight, long shirts hanging down or tummies hanging out, too. Blech.

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:44:00 AM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I'm not familiar with Zeller's, but I'm enough of an elitist snob to say that if you're shopping for fashion at Wal-Mart then you're going to get what you paid for!

Maybe that rich bitch Boo could clue you in about children's fashions when she's not busy elsewhere...

{and, despite my absence lately, I hope you know that I am only teasing}

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:14:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Brown is the new black!

...or so they say.

I think brown is fugly.

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I love brown, not a fan of pink. Although I do happen to be wearing a pink cami under my shirt today, and I also occasionally wear it with my brown sweater. But velour?? Ick! I don't understand why that fabric seems to be making a comeback. It's narsty.

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Blogger Debcapsfan said...

I'm warming up to brown. I have this cute brown sweater now, and a cute pair of brown sneakers. They are adorable and I always get compliments on them. I own two pink items, I believe, and one is underwear. I've always been such a blue person- very anti-pink. And brown and pink together? Blech.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 4:15:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

I would love to do more brown, but rarely find myself buying it.

I agree about girls fashion. It's hard to find suitable clothes for my DD, too.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 4:16:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

Oh, and good luck!

*smooch*

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 10:27:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Target has some cute girl's stuff this year. They have the "trendy" ugly stuff, but also the basics. At least my Target does. I heart Target.

They also have some really cute super-sparkly purses. I'd get a basic outfit and then let my kid glam it up with a sparkly purse.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Puffy: I didn't mind that the fashion was tight, short shirts. DD doesn't like that, so I just always got her a couple sizes larger in the colour/style she liked.

HD: Yes, you're right about WalMart, but I was there getting something else and thought I'd check. I've been to Sears now and they have a whole mess of crap too.
Zeller's is all we had before WalMart showed up. I still prefer Zellers because their kids clothing doesn't fall apart aftr two washings, unlike WM's. Nice to see you back. *hug*

Nutz: It's the brown/pink I object to most.

Jen: I'm also anti-pink. I was afraid that if I ever had a girl, fate would punish my youthful misbehaviour by giving me a girly girl who likes pink and ruffles and sparkles and such. And I was right.

Debs: I'm with you. I like brown with tan or green or black or yellow, even, but pink?

MM: Thanks! *smooch* It's The Bay next, I guess. For once, there is more good boy stuff out there.

Swami: We have no Target. I think Winners is the same company though. Maybe that's the one to try after The Bay. Thanks for the thought!

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

Enter the lone voice of dissention:

I love brown and I love pink. I love them toghther too. However for holiday wear I am not a fan of it.

Try "The Children's Place" or Old Navy.

I'm having a hard time getting the boy a nice outfit. Girls I never have a hard time.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 2:56:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

The materials, more than the colors, bug me. Too many mishmashed velour/crinkly/satiny combos. It just looks sloppy.

 
At Saturday, December 02, 2006 2:08:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

Too bad there's no Basic Black equivalent for kids. I love Basic Black.

What's the name of that humongous mall between (your city) and Toronto? I bet they have what you want.

 
At Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:03:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

I've somewhat climbed on the brown bandwagon since starting the new job. My Mom is horrified because she detests brown. Funny, I remember one Christmas when we were first married that she bought Dave, myself and the boy all brown outfits for presents.

Today while I was out shopping (at Sears) I found a beautiful brown leisurely type outfit and I joked with Dave that I should buy it for her just to see the look on her face when she opened it. *evil grin*

Just stay away from Stitches. I loathe that store!

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 8:06:00 AM, Blogger Rose said...

*pouts*

Can I have a lacy brown and pink dress?

And? I am currently enjoying the brown/blue combo. Am I really that far behind? Some years?

uh-oh.

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

I've never really been a fam of pink in combo with any color. I'm more of a blue tone kinda gal. :)

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 10:04:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

I'm right there with you Seana. However, my problem is that my sweet wonderful Rotten2 adores the MaryKate and Ashley line at Walmart. And she doesn't really know who MK&A are. She just likes the clothes. *sigh*

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like brown and pink either, and I know a girl who did her daughter's nursery in brown and pink.

BLUCK!!!

I tried on a shirt yesterday that had puffy sleeves. It was heinous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home