Monday, August 28, 2006

Pretty









We have loads of beautiful monrach butterflies flitting about this area now. We really noticed them on Saturday, when I took the kids to a newly-finshed park in a neighbouring city. But now, I'm seeing them all over around here. Here! Heavily industrialised, paved-over dirty east end Here.

It's nice.

I heard earlier in the season that there were fewer butterflies these days because people weren't growing flowers that attracted them. The woman who told me this encouraged me to add butterfly flowers to my garden. Since I had already done as much as I was going to do, I didn't. I wonder if enough people did. Or if the city just imported a bunch to see if we could get some to stick around. Maybe we're on a migration route? If so, it's a new one. I haven't seen Monarchs in the city since we moved here in 1997.

Editted to include picture of butterfly.

10 Comments:

At Monday, August 28, 2006 10:44:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Stoopid blogger! Hrmph.

*sits in blog and waits for the pretty picture*

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 10:52:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

I miss seeing Monarchs, too. We usually only see the white plain kind, that like grass.

*waits for Nutz*

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 10:53:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

LOL! That *should* have read, *waits with Nutz*

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Schnookie said...

Pretty. We have lovely yellow butterflies here. I love butterflies. I don't like caterpillars though *shiver*

You know what we seem to have an abundance of this summer? Dragonflies. There are so many and they are HUGE! I always like seeing them though.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:34:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

*hands MM some nuts*

Oh I thought you had pics of the butterflies at your house.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I only see white butterflies. Sometimes. Maybe I'm colorblind?
I think Nookie is calling Bugmeat fat.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

We chased some butterflies around, trying to get a good picture, but failed. :-(

So I'm stuck with a picture from Google.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:59:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

I love Monarch Butterflies! I have a corner of my yard where I let milkweed grow, which is the preferred food of their caterpillar form.

Have your kids try this where they are fluttering: put a bit of honey on a flower petal and sit very still in the sun, holding it out in front of you. Very often a butterfly will light and feed! It is so cool to watch them unroll and extend their long, hollow tongue to drink! Just don't flick them off when their tongue is in the honey or you might damage them.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:11:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Cool trick, Swami! DD would be a good candidate for that, DS not so much. He is quite impulsive.

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:49:00 PM, Blogger Coco said...

They are beautiful, Seana. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

That honey trick sounds really neat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home