Thursday, August 03, 2006

Salespeople Beware

I need to get the leaky eavestroughs replaced and the wooden soffits/fascia on the house covered with vinyl before they rot. They are also very ugly. I have called a couple places for estimates. One place wanted to tell me about their financing, though I have yet to decide to use them. They also wanted to send a guy to talk to DH and I both. I hate that. In fact I told the woman...let's see if I can remember exactly..."I've learned over the years, to my pain, that the reason companies want to see you *and* your husband is so that they can pressure you into signing on the dotted line right then and there. If only one spouse is available, they can always say that they need to discuss it with the other spouse and then there's no immediate sale for the company. I don't want a sales call. I just want an estimate."

So I'm getting an estimate. Yay!

I feel kind of bitchy. But at least I won't be stuck with yet another sales guy in my front hall or kitchen or whatever who won't freaking leave!

The vacuum guy was the worst. He was there for an hour. I should have just told him that the guy he thought was my husband was just a friend who was renting our spare room at the time. I wanted to see the vacuum, not put up with a pushy salesman. And he kept doing that thing I hate where they try to get you all involved by making you answer questions about how great the product/financing/whatever is.

The guy from the steel roofing place was a close second. He was getting pretty pissed with us for not saying "Yeah! Let's do this thing! We really want to go into debt for $10,000! Right this very minute, even though it's the first we're hearing of how much it's going to cost! Woo!" We just wanted an estimate. Geez.

8 Comments:

At Friday, August 04, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

I would tell the salesman that we would both be there and then when he showed up, I would have DH go upstairs and then tell the sales guy that hubby had to cancel. :)

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

I just don't talk to people who will not come unless my husband is there.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

LOL Carey. I always *want* to play dirty tricks, but then can't.

Swami: when I told DH about it, he said I should have told them to forget it. I still want the estimate so that we have a good idea of what the job is worth. 3 estimates is what I usually get.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 12:43:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

I hate pushy sales people, but I know it's their job, so it's a catch 22 sometimes. I realize a lot of them are just trying to take care of their families, but they really don't need to use some of their tactics. Makes me angry enough to NOT buy their product, even if I absolutely need it. *sigh*

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 1:09:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

We had a vacuum guy here for three hours once, and it was torture. My DH always ends up wanting to buy everything, and I don't. I don't mind how pushy they are, because I know it's their job, but at the same time, when/if someone says "no", I think they need to learn how to respect that.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 3:29:00 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

Good for you. I don't sympathize with them. There are other jobs for them to get. Many of them are just bullies and use nasty tactics to get people to buy their products. They prey on people who aren't savvy or aggressive.

Bravo Seana. You're the one dishing out the bucks. Your time is precious also and you don't need to be wasting hours listening to a sales pitch.

Nookie <---- feeling the bitchiness today :-)

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 4:27:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Seana, I've been meaning to talk to you about an exciting opportunity. Is there a time I could call you when both you and your DH would be home?
*giggle*

 
At Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Business cards with map on it Kia car dealership car winslow nebraska aston martin cars for sale Firewall security system Data fax software Pakistani maternity clothes design Hoodia pill slimming

 

Post a Comment

<< Home