Fun from the Government
We have our new Green Bins! These are bins for organic waste. Now, I'm already an avid composter. I really swear by it - great for the garden and keeps stuff out of landfills. But up until now, there was nowhere to put things like bones and oils or whatever, since they can't be composted in the back yard. These bins will take all kinds of organics.

ETA: Picture of exactly the kind of composter in our back yard right now. It is about 3 feet wide at the bottom, and maybe 3 feet high. You put stuff in the top and open the little door at the bottom to get your compost out. It does a good job. My little composter has been sneered at by enthusiasts, but it works for what we need it to do.
Pardon the soapbox here for a moment, but we just don't have the space for the garbage anymore. What's more, you can't just dump this stuff somewhere in a hole and squish it a bit, hoping it will eventually break down. Depending on what is thrown away, poisons can leak into the water table and into the surrounding land. All that needs to be contained and treated in some way. That costs money. The more money the city pays, the more money *I* pay.
Right, so our city has a rather ambitious goal to divert 65% of garbage from landfills by recycling, composting, lawn/garden bags and now, this Green bin thingie. I am enthusiastically re-arranging the places we put things we are done with.
*****
The Census form came in the mail yesterday. I filled it out online this time and it only took me about 10 minutes. I didn't have to go drop anything in the mailbox, just click, click, click. I like that. Damned convenient.


15 Comments:
I need to start composting. I really want to but it sounds hard!
*bigsmooches*
We composted when we were in Canada but haven't since we moved to the States. I have to say, the recyling programs in my area here are shitty so DH and I have to do some extra steps to recycle. It's a shame.
*applauds Seana*
I compost, too. Just the normal garden stuff.
Cool that you have this green bin program. We have nothing like that here. Hellof an idea, though!
You are a complete composter when you have your own worm box. Just sayin'.
I wish leaf bags had never been invented. All my neighbors clean their yards into leaf bags and then brag about how many they filled. It is so stupid. Yard waste turns to nothing volume-wise when you compost it!
How often do you have a census? We have it every 10 years, such as 1980, 1990, 2000, etc.
We have one garbage barrel, which is usually 90% empty because...
We have a "green waste, yard clippings" barrel and a "recyclables" barrel, too.
What's with Nookie's potty mouth? *shakes head*
Happy to see your city on the bandwagon too. Our town has a black & green bin for each house, dump bins through out the neighbourhoods for leaf & cutting waste, and recycling centres which have dump bins for glass, plastic, milk jugs, cans, newspaper and cardboard. The landfills just can't keep taking everything.
*not sure if MTW is joking* But just in case: composting is easy. You just put all the leftover salad and eggshells and coffee grounds/tea bags and yard waste in and leave it alone. Add more stuff. Leave it alone. You get good rich material to put in your garden out the bottom after a while.
Hooray for compost!
Worm boxes sound cool, but I've never seen one IRL.
I had to read Nookie'e comment several times before I realised where the potty-mouth part was.
Puffy: I was poking around the StatsCan site and saw info on the 2006 and 2001 census. So, maybe we do it every 5 years? That doesn't seem right, because I'm not sure I filled one out in 2001. I remember doing one when we lived in the townhouse, which would have been 10 years ago.
*waits for a topic I can comment about*
That Nookie is quite the potty mouth. *giggles*
I'm going to sit with mm on this one. Sorry, I am the worst. I have been emptying Conner's dirty diapers into the toilet and flushing it if that's good.
And I have a compost question, probably stupid, but here goes: Where do you put this compost stuff? Where do you store it? Does it smell?
I am back. The computer was off all day yesterday.
MM: I will work on something later after the kids have gone to bed. Busy day here: blood clinic this morning, prep dinner, friends 2 boys over after school of 1.5 hours, ballet, home, dinner, kids to bed. Ack.
Boohoo: This is not a stupid question. I have a plastic container that I keep in the kitchen. It's lined with paper towel to keep things from sticking to the sides. That's where I put most of the stuff for the composter. Carrot and cucumber peels I usually feed to the guinea pigs. Now and again, I empty the container into the composter outside (please see newly added pic). If you leave the one in the kitchen for too long, it will attract fruit flies, but it doesn't have a lid.
Note: the green bin thingie came with a little bin to use inside. It does have a lid, which, so far, means no smells.
The composter outside smells when you put new stuff in, but when you shovel the dirt out the bottom to use in gardening, it doesn't stink. Just smells like dirt.
Very interesting. I'm sure I'd have to file some sort of application in order to have one of those in my back yard.
We have that exact same composter in our yard for food scraps & small yard waste! The giant piles of leaves & grass clippings are elsewhere.
The city of Madison sells those for like $20 each spring, so we got it cheap.
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! muscle pain from zocor http://www.debtmanagement2.info/Bentley_college_summer_program.html &apos male bodybuilding chat &apos Ericsson battery Antishock portable dvd player dual screen http://www.vinylpants.info/didrexbuytramadolnow.html Rental video camera equipment in cleveland 34irregular cycles due to clomid liposuction texas Jvc camcorder us amw portable dvd player Canadian lexapro rx antique ladies slider watch chain Penis studies K-cup coffee makers dvd player cature software Resistance to zithromax Cisco e rate training salem mayflower moving services best buy dvd player portable
Enjoyed a lot! payday loan online didrex
Post a Comment
<< Home