Easter Morning
This entry is mostly so I can remember today. It's long. Please feel free to skip the reading and just tell me your favourite Easter candy. I always loved getting a big solid chocolate bunny when I was a kid. You had to gnaw those things. Well, you could cut them up with a knife, but where was the fun in that?
*****
I've been up since 7 freaking o'clock. 7!! Gack! Even my daughter, who sleeps fairly late on Christmas was up bright and early this morning. DH and I managed to get them to play quietly for a little while, but we were still downstairs hunting eggs by 8:00.
This year, their egg with their name on it was waiting with their new sand pail and skipping rope on the coffee table. They were supposed to take their pails and use them to collect the eggs, but only DD did. DS left his on the coffee table and ran around grabbing one egg at a time. I put out all the Reese's peanut butter eggs *waves to HD* individually. They also got the big Wonka eggs with Sweet Tarts and Runts and foil-wrapped chocolate eggs. DS got a chocolate Dora, a 4-pack of small hollow chocolate teddy bears and some extra candy-filled egs. DD got Lindor eggs and Cadbury Mini-eggs.
The big deal for each of them was the present they didn't get for Christmas.
I had put DD's toy on her list for other people, but no-one chose that for her. She decided to buy one for herself using her Christmas and birthday money, but then realised that she would have to spend every last penny she had. She didn't want her piggy bank to be empty, so she decided that she could live without it. This was just last month. Anyway, Mom and Dad are softies, so hiding on top of the china cabinet was her Golden Retriever Fur Real Friend. She has spent the morning "training" it to sit and beg and howl and such. Actually, it's quite a good toy for the price.
DS has wanted a lightsabre ever since he saw Star Wars the second time. The first time, he didn't much care one way or the other, but then DD wanted to watch the movie again and DS got right into it. Anyway, I thought it was a singularly bad idea. Then he saw one in the toy store when we were there to get a present for his cousin and he really wanted it. He made all kinds of promises, but I stood firm. No lightsabre - at least not right now. Then DH said that if he abused the privilege, I (that's me getting to be the bad guy) could just take it away. So he got a lightsabre for Easter. 2, in fact. I bought the wrong one, you see. I had to send DH out to get the proper one with the light and sounds. *I* bought an official one, but it was red (for bad guys) and you were paying entirely for the name, so no fancy stuff. DH told me not to take the red one back, so now DS has 2. He's wearing the Darth Vader sword at his waist and carrying the other around, occasionally threatening bad guys and not once, as yet, bashing or poking any person, cat or item.
Weird juxtaposition: I had to take away the toothbrush he got at the dentist this week because he kept throwing it at me. But the lightsabre is OK. ??? Go figure.
They had so much fun. DD's little face was priceless when she looked up and saw the dog. I loved watching DS finding eggs. He was so excited to find them. DD kept asking me if she had all hers yet, because she wanted to be done so she could play with the dog.
It's only noon and I don't know what we're going to do with the rest of the day. It doesn't look too nice out. I had wanted to maybe go for a hike down on the boardwalk or maybe down to the lake to see if there are any baby ducks or geese yet. Well, better go make lunch.


16 Comments:
This sounds like a really nice, memorable family day. Beautiful!
Yay! It's nice reading about all your fun family times. Have a great Easter (rest of the ) day.
We are having family over this afternoon for an egg hunt in our living room, and the traditional Easter spaghetti dinner.
(joking about the traditional part - it just seemed really easy)
*smooch*
*sniff, sniff*
My youngest set her alarm to get up at 9 this am to hunt for eggs. Then she had to wake her older sister to join. I guess this is the sad realization that they are growing up. There once was a time (by crackie)that they would have been sneaking around at 3 in the morning, just to scope things out.
Both DH & oldest DD have to work today, so we will be having our turkey dinner late today, but have it we will. AND I made lemon cheesecake tarts for dessert. There's extra, if you like.
Hi, Puffy!
I wish we had made plans with family, but I am lazy. We'll be having "Birtheaster" later this month with my Dad and sisters - Easter and two birthdays all in one.
MTW: I don't set much store in tradition for tradition's sake. Please, by all means have spaghetti. Puffy was telling us on her blog about the symbolic food for Passover, and in that case, I guess you have to stick to the menu plan, but Easter dinner can be whatever you want.
Actually, one year at my dad's we had lasagne for Christmas, just because it's easier to serve so many people with pasta and salad and garlic breadsticks.
Aw, poor Survey. They do grow up so fast. Lemon cheesecake tart sounds really yummy.
We have a ham in the oven right now, but I decided there would be enough junk in the house without making dessert. :-)
Seana, by "family," I meant your own family of 4. Did you take pictures or video? I'm glad that you have a ham in the oven and not a "bun" in the oven.
LOL, Puffy
Yeah, ham. And I understood that you meant about "family". I wrote that up all wrong. I started a whole new thought there. *slaps head* Everyone is just supposed to follow along without any guidance.
I have video and a couple pictures, non digital though. :-(
Sounds like you had a really nice day Seana. I kind of miss having little ones around on days like this but then I think about the chocolate highs and don't mind so much. *grin*
What is a Lindor egg? I want one please. Well, only if I can suck on it. I don't chew very well right now.
My niece got a Fur Real Chimp for her birthday last week. I'd like to see it in action. We got her a Fur Real cat last year. They are worth the price.
Hope you got a nap in.
LOL Lights. I have to admit, after being awake for so long and being so active all day, I was really relieved when bedtime rolled around.
****
I *heart* Glow.
I went to find a good description or a picture of Lindor chocolates, and found this page instead:
http://www.lindt.com/1222/1228/1254/1256.asp
These recipes look so good. I can't wait to try one. Maybe the Mocha Chip Cheesecake. *drool* Thank-you so much for sending me down that path.
Um, anyway, Lindors are truffles: chocolate spheres filled with really smooth, creamy chocolate. They're so. freaking. good. I prefer the dark chocolate, but there's milk chocolate, mint-chocolate, white and hazelnut (a close second). The most popular is apparently the milk chocolate. So the eggs are the truffles in a different shape.
Nice day! We werer woken up at 7 also. I am still tired today.
Thank goodness there are no more major holidays for the kids until Halloween!
They are fun but take a toll!
You are such an awesome mom. Sounds like the kiddos had a great time.
My favorite was also the solid bunny. I would freeze part of it & take off chunks to dip in peanut butter.
Sounds like you had a great day, Seana!
My favorite candy was always the big chocolate bunny. I had to get a different one than my sister but they had to be exactly the same size and volume otherwise we would each claim to have the better bunny. I'm sure that drove my mother nuts.
I love Lindt dark chocolate truffles! They sell them in large candy bar form too - that's my favorite. I can't buy one thinking that I will eat only a few squares each day. Nope. I scarf the whole thing down before I even realize what I'm doing. They are the best chocolate truffles! I put them in the frige before I eat them because I like to take little succulent bites and that way the chocolate doesn't melt all over my fingers. Now I think they taste better cold too!
I think DH got me some of those for Christmas! I'll have to ask him if that's what they were called. I just gobbled them right up. I want Lindor Eggs!
How sweet! Sounds like the kids had a wonderful morning.
Hey Seana, I tagged you on my blog.
Sounds like they had a fun time!
Post a Comment
<< Home