Friday, April 14, 2006

RIP Scary Aunt Jean

My cousin called me last night to tell me our Aunt Jean had passed on. She was our grandmother's older sister, the second child in a family of 9 children. Our grandmother, you may recall, died last year. I don't know how old Aunt Jean was. We called her "Scary" because there was another Aunt Jean on Papa's side, but she was nice.

It is important to remember that all the women on my mother's side of the family are loud, opinionated and strong. Aunt Jean was the absolute epitome of everything that I think of when I think of McF women. She never hesitated to speak her mind. She expected you to do the same. She didn't ever back down. She never apologised. Well, she was never wrong. :-) She respected people who wouldn't take her shit. Frankly, I'm always a bit surprised when one of them dies. You may not like them, but you can't deny they are alive.

So, this means that of the 9, only Auntie Dorothy remains. This is sad, because when she's gone, the "top rung" changes too.

Sister.....Jean.....Nana.....Brother.....Brother.....Sister.....Sister.....Brother
.....Dorothy (I think)

Under Nana: Uncle.....Uncle......My mother There are other cousins on this row. I'm not naming them all.

Next row: Cousin (M), Cousin (F)*, Cousin (M).....Cousin (M), Cousin (M), Cousin (M).....Me, Sister, Sister

Next row: X.....X.....Son, Daughter, Daughter.....X.....Son, Son....Son, Daughter.....DD, DS..... X.....X

*This is the cousin I speak to most often and the one who called me last night. She's quite a whiz with Microsoft Office and once attempted to to an organisation chart of our family on both sides. Nana married a man from a family of 14. The chart is HUGE, even with a couple of the great-aunts/uncles not having children.

OK, I just tried to do a chart so you could see it better and I can't figure out how to get it here. It wouldn't fit and be legible anyway.

*****

A member of the family becomes family history.

Rest in Peace, Scary Aunt Jean.

9 Comments:

At Friday, April 14, 2006 1:00:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

{{{hugs}}} Sorry for your loss.

It was sad when my grandma died. She was the oldest of 8 and now there is just her one brother (who's health is not great) and one sister.

It will probably be very weird when the whole generation is gone.

*smooch*

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

RIP Aunt scary.

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006 3:01:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

It is better to be alive.

*runs off to say something snarky*

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006 3:44:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

Sorry for your loss, Seana.

I was never close to my Great Aunts and Uncles, but it is sad watching them die, and knowing that soon, our parents will be in line. :(

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006 5:07:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Are you sure that she wasn't Lighty's Mean Jean? It is sad to count down the generation. How will our nieces and nephews and their children refer to us as we age?

 
At Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

My mom was the youngest of her generation, and they are all gone now. Which leaves me exposed on Death's firing range, I guess. But I'm the youngest of MY generation so I probably have a few good years left. I think it was hard on my mom, to lose everyone who could remember her as a girl & young woman. Evidently, when you are very elderly you get flooded with memories of your youth and there was no one there to remember with her, and to prompt old memories.

Sorry about Scary Jean. RIP.

 
At Saturday, April 15, 2006 3:44:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Thank-you all. "Death's firing range": I like that.

That's the thing - one more person who can remember how it used to be is gone.

Some time ago, I tried to write down as much as I could remember about everyone in the family. It was my plan to get similar stories from everyone else. I expected to amass a huge document of reminiscences from a variety of viewpoints. The same day remembered by 5 different people, like Nana and Papa's 50th wedding anniversary (I was 12. I wore my favourite red dress.)

I have *got* to get going with that again. I'm running out of time.

 
At Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Metal mattresses micro digital projector air fl living purifier tampa

 
At Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home