Earth Day
Today was Earth Day. Did you do anything earthy? Not me. It was Scary Aunt Jean's memorial service, so my cousin and I went to that.
Aunt Jean's granddaughter (who I had never met) did the eulogy. She described a woman I didn't know. From the "she died an old woman" part to the bit where she didn't judge people "as long as you're happy", I have no idea whose life we commemorated. I seem to recall a woman who didn't take any shit and told you where to stick it if you tried to give any to her. She was also totally judgmental. My cousin, my uncles and I kept looking at each other. Did she just not like us? The pastor mentioned her "crusty exterior" and that was it. The pastor actually did know her, since it was her church, so that was nice. I do hate getting the standard eulogy from someone who didn't know the person. I suppose there's not much you can do as a pastor if someone who never went to your church is having their memorial there. Even still...
I did learn a thing or two. For example, I didn't realise she was so involved in charitable causes. I vaguely knew she had run a catering business until she was in her 80's. The pastor noted that she carried a pocketful of loonies on the walk back from the chuch to her retirement home (both in downtown) so that she could give them away. This interested me because when I go walking in downtown, I do exactly that. I call it my panhandler money. Sometimes you think you're the only person who does things...
I look like my mother, everyone said. I do. I'm aware of it. My mother wasn't there today. We're not sure if anyone called her. My mother may not have gone anyway, since she seems to have sworn off family altogether when she decided to be a new and
Anyway, everyone said how nice it was to see the family again.
I had a thought, though. Because I think weird things at odd moments. All my old aunts are named things like Jean and Margery and Grace and Dorothy. In 3 more generations, there's going to be a lot of Great-Aunt Britneys. That made me giggle.


5 Comments:
I would like to point out that "she died an old woman" was part of a point she was making about taking into account a whole life and not just the end, but I have trouble thinking of that generation that way. She was old. She was a woman. But somehow, she never was an "old woman", if you see what I mean.
Aunt Apple. Grandpa Moses. Aunt Suri. And the list goes on. Plus Great-Aunt Britney will have tattoos.
LOL @ the Great Aunt Britneys. Yes, as Puffy said, they'll all most likely have cool tats on their lower backs! *snort*
Don't worry about telling your mom. I also would have assumed my mother would get that information before me, and it wouldn't occur to me to pass it on to her.
*smooch*
I'm never naming my child Jean. We have Mean Jean and Scary Aunt Jean. *shudder*
When I went to my neighbor's funeral last week, I learned all sorts of stuff about him I never knew. Kind of felt bad I didn't know these things, but oh well.
By the way, body viewings are weird. I don't want anyone to view my dead body other than my immediate family.
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Buspar file d Porsche 356 coupe http://www.dickies-pants.info/womens_maternity_clothes_search.html low priced home insurance quotes phendimetrazine online store Adware removal yahoo pop up blocker Orlando chrysler plymouth Jenna jameson 460mb http aluminum folding we chairs Waltham universal remote tv codes Asberger27s and ritalin San diego kitchen cabinets Propane butane usage in appliances Fixing peerless faucets advisor financial lead sales basco appliances portland oregon
Post a Comment
<< Home