Sunday, April 02, 2006

Goodies

1. Everyone wanted a dessert tonight, but I didn't want to put much effort into it, so I decided to make some kind of bar cookie. We now have peanut butter bars with peanut butter-chocolate marble frosting. They are tasty. Please help yourself.

2. I'm sure you were all anxiously waiting to hear what kind of donut I got for free the other day. I decided on the caramel-filled, chocolate dip kind. It's pretty much a Boston Creme with caramel filling. It was quite good. I think it would have been better if the caramel stuff was thicker. It was a bit runny, but I wouldn't turn down another one.

3. My favourite Tim Horton's treat is still the maple-pecan danish. I just love those things. Oh, so good.

ETA:

Peanut Butter Squares

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup peanut butter

1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350. Grease 13 x 9 x 2 pan. Mix sugars, egg, margarine and peanut butter in large bowl. Stir in flour, oats, soda and salt. Spread in pan. Bake 17 to 22 minutes until golden, cool.


Frosting

1.5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
approx 3 tablespoons milk

Mix powdered sugar, peanut butter and 2 tablespoon of the milk. Add remaining milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time until spreading consistency. Reserve 1/3 cup. To remaining frosting, add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 more tablespoon of milk.

Frost squares with cocoa mixture. Drop peanut butter frosting by teaspoonfuls onto cocoa frosting. Swirl for a marbled effect.

Notes:

- I don't know if you could use the organic peanuts-only type peanut butter.
- Next time I will put the oats in the blender for a while. I like the recipe like this, but I'd like to see how it turns out the other way.
- Don't overbake them. I think I may have left them in a bit long.
- If you make the frosting with milk, you have to refrigerate them.

16 Comments:

At Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:49:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Cookie bar, please. I'm too tired to cook anything for dinner and a peanut butter bar sounds perfect.

 
At Sunday, April 02, 2006 9:04:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

We're still working on all the desserts from when my dad died. I thought I'd lose weight when he died, due to depression and all. But I keep stuffing my face with all the goodies that people brought.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 10:13:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I used to hate maple frosted pastries, but now I kind of like em. I think it's a sign I'm getting old.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

What Kim said.
But I really am old!

I love Tim Horton...

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I love peanut butter anything!!! Please send me the peanut butter treats (or, at least, the recipe).

Shhh: don't tell MM, but she would get further if she gave up on the orange juice and just smeared herself all over with peanut butter.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Carey: my goodies are your goodies. :-)

Swami and Kim: A maple-pecan danish isn't your standard Princess Leia's hair danish. It's really more like a mini-struedel, as are all Horton's danishes.

Puffy: *smooch*

HD: I don't understand this MM + orange juice reference. Is she trying to get you to switch sides?

I'll be back later with a recipe.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 12:20:00 PM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

She's been trying to get me to switch sides forever! And lately she's been using some devious means that involve orange juice.

I posted more pics for you on my blog.

*smirk*

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 12:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I will have to try that carmel filled one. Hopefully there will not be a gas explosion in my Timmie Hoes while I am getting it!

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 1:40:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

*walks in wearing peanut butter*

Hi Seana! I was just stopping by to say hello. That is all.

*wanders over to HD's blog (for no reason);-)*

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 2:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez, MM. That's some creative use and placement of the peanuts in the crunchie style.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 2:50:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Sounds good.
Feel Free to send me a batch.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 4:51:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

LOL! Kim? I read that as maple frosted pasties! *snort*

I will have to try this recipe! ...or you can just make them for me and send me a batch. *grin*

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh!!! MM is a hussy!

...and uber-hussy!

*runs to tell MTW*

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 7:24:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

*eats Seana's goodies*

Whut?

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 8:57:00 PM, Blogger mtw said...

Nutz, if you really want to shatter my illusions about MM, you need to tell me she *isn't* an uber-hussy!

 
At Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:14:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

OK, MTW...

MM's a nun!!! *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home