Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TAR-Related Story

I have been to the Mercedes Factory in Stuttgart! We went inside and saw the museum, which was cool. I wish I had a scanner so I could show you guys the pictures I took there. I remember all the guys wanted to go on the test track, but that wasn't part of the tour.

When I was in high school, our band, orchestra and choir (I was in all 3 - saxophone, viola, second soprano) went to West Germany. See how old I am? The Wall was still up.

We flew in through Frankfurt, too. I watched tonight's episode for that guy who wouldn't just give me a damned coffee, but they must not have run past his coffee counter. Honestly. You're working in an airport. A 15-year-old foreign girl asks you in halting German for a cup of coffee. Do you really stand there pointing at the menu insisting that she tell you what kind of coffee? This was my first experience with fancy coffee. I just wanted a plain cup of coffee. I even resorted to "surprise me", but he refused. Bastige.

That trip kicked so much ass. One day I will write about it. I swear it was all I talked about for a good year afterwards. I learned more German in the 2 weeks we were there than in German class.

German fun facts:

You can't get a driver's license until you're 18.

Guys have to enlist in the army when they turn 18. Yay, sexism! As far as I know, women are still exempt.

All education is free, including university. A couple years back, a friend of mine was telling me about the uproar caused by the big tuition hike - they now have to pay 100 Euros a year! Oh my gawd! I tried not to roll my eyes. Of course, she knows what we pay here so she didn't complain too much herself. Apparently, free education leads to a lot of professional students.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:59:00 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

A 15 year old drinking coffee? Shame on you! Do you have any pictures of you blowing that sax or playing the viola?

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:21:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Hey! I was a soprano! I also tried my hand at the saxophone, but for some reason I couldn't get sound out of it. Guess I was doing it wrong. I did play the French horn for a bit, but settled for the piano.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:23:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Yes, Puffy. I've been drinking coffee (with a LOT of cream) since I was 12, actually.

In Germany, you can drink beer when you're 14, but not sherry. I tried to order a sherry in one of the night clubs and got carded, so I had to settle for the 12% beer. I hate beer, but it was alcohol and I was 15, so...

Nutz: I can't get a sound out of a French horn to save my life. I played a couple of the woodwinds, including B flat and E flat clarinet, but never brass.

I have a piano, but never practice anymore. I only made it to Grade 3 Conservatory, but I can play higher levels. One day I hope to take lessons again, but they cost $20 per half-hour. That's $80 a month - just not in the budget. I'll just practice the scales and triads in the backs of the Conservatory books my mother gave me.

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:56:00 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

Did you wear the outfits? Cause the outfits make the country.

Nutz was a soprano from Jersey? How typical!

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:19:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

One of my friends bought a dirndl

http://www.bayermaxi.com/Dirndl%20gross%2018.jpg

kind of like this one, only the apron was white. She also got a cuckoo clock when we were in Switzerland.

I bought a letter opener/dagger in Rothenberg ob der Taube, a walled city (too cool).

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:27:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

LOL! Yes Zombs! My husband is in "waste management"! *giggles*

 
At Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:05:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Another German fun fact: Carey is half German

 

Post a Comment

<< Home