Thursday, March 16, 2006

Guilt

OK, so I wrote about how happy I am that DD has found a friend finally. It's been a long time. Her best friend in Junior and Senior Kindergarten was a boy who we still see. His mother babysat the kids for me when I was working. When they were promoted to Grade 1, the teacher recommended they be put in different classes because DD had a tendency to distract the boy (K). So she went all the way through Grade 1 without really making a new friend. She is the type that needs one best friend. When I talked with the Grade 1 teacher, she would tell me that DD played with other kids, etc. and didn't seem concerned about her social development, but I was. She never asked to have anyone over on the weekends and had trouble coming up with anyone to invite to her birthday party.

So now she has a friend, just at the same time I have decided that I can't stand to live surrounded by these idiots anymore.

I still want the house fixed up, but every time DH talks about when I want to list the house, I feel a horrible pang. All the words are lies "Oh, we'll still see her on weekends" and "We'll write all the time". It's crap. You do that for a couple weeks in the beginning and then forget. She doesn't make friends easily. And she'd be the new kid. And, depending on where we move, she'll be from *our city*. In high school, we all knew that girls from here were skanks.

We'd have to find a house like this, only somewhere else. I like the size, that each kid has a good-sized room. I like the size of the backyard. I like the flow of the main floor. I like being within walking distance of DD's school, a grocery store, the library. The ex-sitter, who I should just start calling 'my friend', is close and trustworthy and can help with the kids when I need her.

See, now I'm finding reasons to stay. But the drug-addled idiot still lives next door. It will always be something with him, until he dies. I entertained myself for a while by dreaming up stuff I would do to him after we had moved. I planned on dumping disgusting things on his front porch or putting nails under the tires of his car, so that when he pulled out, all 4 tires would get holes in them. The fun bit would be that he wouldn't suspect me, because I'd have moved. Of course, the truth is that I can't hold on to anger like that. To *actually* stay angry enough to make special trips to torment someone is beyond me.

So. We will fix up the house. DH says if we're staying, he wants to replace the shed with something sturdy and plastic instead of the wooden one we have. Gah.

8 Comments:

At Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:56:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Wow, what tough decisions. Maybe the druggie neighbor will go to jail eventually.

Young children have an amazing ability to bounce back from moves. However, as soon as they start reaching around 4th grade, it's not so easy any more. My advice would be to make the move now if you think you maybe you might change your mind in another year or two.

What about moving within your same community. I know a lot of people that have moved less than 3 blocks from their previous house.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:38:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

I agree with Kim about doing it sooner rather than later. She'll take her cues from you, and if you seem happy and excited, she will be too. Also, you *can* make the effort to keep in touch with her friend until she makes new friends, if it helps ease your guilt. But really, there should be no guilt about wanting to move the family into a better area.

Also, the sooner you go, the less *your city* will ever need to come up in conversation. Especially when she's in high school.

Just do what you have to, and if that means staying, you'll continue to make the best of it.

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:38:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

I agree with the smart folks above me. Better to move now than wait until she really makes friends. By the time she's in high school, the kids won't even remember she "from that city".

I just popped in here while taking a break from my summary writing to make sure you weren't ranting that I don't have it up yet. Good summaries take time! ...it'll be worth the wait! *grin*

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

I agree *points up* and I can not say this enough. Move them when they are young. My parents moved me from one end of the state to the other when I was 11 years old and even they will admit that it was the worst thing for me. I too did not make friends easily and I had a difficult time adjusting when we moved here. I chose the wrong set of friends and would have fit in well with your next door neighbor. *sigh*
I'm 39 years old and that is still one of my worst memories (moving),

Good luck. *smooch*

 
At Friday, March 17, 2006 12:08:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

Thank-you guys for your thoughts. I really appreciate your input.

Carey: I refuse to believe that you could ever have been anything like that which inhabits the house next door.

We are still discussing the move.

In the meantime, DH was at Home Depot tonight to price out some of the necessary repairs like the eavestroughs and the toilet flush-y thingie and it's not going to be as expensive as we thought. Yay!

 
At Friday, March 17, 2006 2:14:00 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

I agree with these other wise folks. And I add it's more important to get the kids out of that neighborhood.

 
At Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a lot of good advice above about moving early. My advice is not about moving. If you are going to go after your neighbour's tires, don't try to come up with an invention to make them go flat. Instead, just pick up a raw fish at the market, and put a chunk under each hub cap. Then you can leave and just smile when you picture him wondering "what's that smell?".

 
At Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:45:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

note to self:
Do not annoy Surveysez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home