Stuff
The Christmas tree is up and decorated. It seems all the coloured light strands are kablooie, so we've used the icicle lights that I got for cheap after Christmas. Usually I prefer not to use all white lights because they can look quite dull - same with any single colour, really. However, with our tree decorated in our eclectic way, the white-only really works. I actually like it.
Babysitting went well yesterday. Don't get me wrong - around 10 am, I was wishing it was time to send the boy to school (1/2 days, afternoons for him) just because he and my son get on well for only limited amounts of time. But not too bad. It's midnight as I write this. The mother wasn't sure if she was going to be working today, so she said she'd call. She didn't. Should I get up at 6 am? Or should I wait to hear pounding on the door at 6:30? I actually didn't expect them because they didn't show the day before and didn't call to tell me about it until they were supposed to be here - 6 am. Luckily, I had slept in a bit. :D The kicker is that I genuinely like the family. Nice people. I do wonder how you can keep a job if you call in all the time, but hey.
The kids have their advent calendars. They get so excited. It's cute.
I have nothing to do on Christmas Eve. While writing up my Christmas card list, I nearly put down my grandmother's name (she passed away at the beginning of this year). We always went to her place on Christmas Eve. Even in the home, her room was packed with people. She loved Christmas.
There's a ledge that along the wall by the stairs. It has been transformed into the Ledge of Excessive Tackiness. I put down cotton batting (snow!) and al the Christmasy things go on it: stuffed Santas, candles shaped like snowmen and trees, all sorts of things with Santa hats and every other Christmas decoration thing that someone thought might be a good present sits up there. The cumulative effect of this is, of course, hugely tacky. It's really bad. But the kids love it. Well, OK, so do I. But classy it ain't.


17 Comments:
I'm second!
Seana sorry about your grandmother. Try to create some new traditions on Christmas Eve. That is what is so challenging now for us. We are trying to do little things that the kids will remember years from now as "christmas time". Your ledge of tackiness may be just that!
I am having each kid do a craft for their gifts to the family as well.
How do you hang icicle lights on a tree? I like all white lights but I also love color. Let's face it, Christmas is Tacky in its own way. But that is what kids love about it. We have the rest of our lives to be classy at Christmas when the kids are grown!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
That was me*points up*!
I have to get the boy new boots today. They are calling for snow this Monday! We bought some from Old Navy but they were too small when we got them here. Kid is growing like a weed. Same size shoe as his sister- 9 1/2!
Your ahead of me. We have only got the outside Christmas lights up and that is it. We will try to finish this weekend.
Yay! A skeerydeadguy!
Zombie: You're right about making traditions, and we have: Christmas Eve present hunt, advent calendars (We got these religious ones that had no chocolate when we were kids. Ask me how scammed I felt when I learned that they came with chocolate!) and we are continuing Mom's tradition of decorating on the 1st.
I like the make a craft for a present idea.
The icicle lights are just like regular strands, but with little strands dangling from it, so I just wrapped them around the tree like regular. It doesn't look much different.
We are having our second snowfall of the year today. Whee!
Sonya: If I waited until I felt like it, the tree wouldn't be up yet. I am not in the mood. I haven't even really planned my daughter's birthday party, which should be on the 10th. Ack. Don't even have invites. Off to the dollar store this weekend for party favours...
SOunds like you're doing just fine, Seana, good for you. It is a hard time of year for those who've lost a family member, isn't it? *smooch*
(see? I came to your blog and was all nice to you, unlike some who came to mine! :P)
I was going to ask if the kids got chocolate or picture advent calanders, but I guess you answered that. I kinda liked the picture kind
Wow! Too much to comment on, so I'll just say "hi" & *smooch*!
...for now! *wink*
*hugs* Sorry about your grandmother Seana. I know how hard it is to lose the matriarch of the family. Best thing to do is pass on/carry on all that is your grandmother. Sometimes I can spend minutes looking for my grandmother in my son's face and eyes.
*lol* at the ledge of tackiness. It works. Stay with it!
So, MM, were you just being nice so you could stick it to me that I wasn't nice enough to you in your blog? Humpf.
Bob: I liked the picture kind too, when I didn't know there was a choice. *grin*
Hi Nutz! *smooch*
Thanks, monstah. *hug* Moments after my son was born, he looked at me and I saw my grandfather. Sometimes when they're playing together or, like now, DD is reading to DS, I just stare at them, and try to memorise the moment. [/sappy]
Now when I think of "The Ledge Of Tackiness" I hear it in a big booming voice and the echo afterwards...tackiness...iness....ness.....
(((hugs)))) about your grandmother. This will be our first Christmas without my MIL. And it may be the last with SIL who is itching to move away.
I love white non-blinking lights by the way. I think it gives such a graceful look.
*sigh*
Christmas Eve... well, for what seems like a million years (since we've been dating as teenagers), we've spent Christmas Eve with hubby's best friend's family. The kids have known nothing else. Last year, in the fall, the dad (aka, Pop-pop) was in the hospital and later passed away. The mom (aka, Nanny) who has Parkinson's disease, had no energy to do anything for Christmas, so... no Christmas Eve. My kids told me it felt weird. I know it did too, but we tried to do our best to make up for that. We made a bunch of finger foods and decorated the tree, then drove around looking at lights. It just wasn't the same.
This year, Nanny has moved to Las Vegas so her two daughters can take care of her. It's very sad. :(
That is really sad. *smooches everyone*
I do, however, love the Ledge of Tackiness. I think I may have to make one.
{{{{HUGS}}}} Seana. It was nice corresponding with you when we both lost our grandmothers. Very comforting. For us, this was the first Thanksgiving without Grandma, which was truly HER holiday.
It was sad, but we baked the pies in her pie plates and that helped make it feel like she was there. :-)
*snort* @ Zombie
Boo: Hope I didn't offend about the lights. Reading back, I realise I didn't try to make that more my opinion and less "this is the truth". Oops. I know we all have our own tastes.
Sorry to hear about your MIL and SIL. *hugs*
More *hugs* to Nutz and MTW.
I was thinking about you, MTW while wondering what to do on Christmas Eve. I didn't think about your Thanksgiving. Good idea using her stuff to feel closer.
Coco: You *want* a tacky ledge? Wow. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home