Iron
I take iron supplements. For a long time, I felt really miserable. I was tired all the time, no matter how long I slept; I sometimes felt dizzy for no reason. For example, I'd be working at my desk and and then suddenly feel like I was going to fall off my chair, and then it would go away. To be honest, I never put those things together. I thought each sympton could be attributed to different things. How wrong I was.
When I went to give blood about this time last year, they turned me down and said my iron was too low. Since I had a doctor's appointment a couple weeks later, I told her about the blood place not letting me donate, and she ordered a couple tests. Apparently, I was anemic. She put me on Slow-FE, which is a type of iron supplement. Way more iron than your average multivitamin, which I had been taking every day. The next time I went to donate, that first little bit of blood dropped like a stone in the blue liquid. Yay! Of course, the better news is that I don't get dizzy, I'm only tired when I don't get enough sleep and a bunch of other problems went away too.
Over the course of the last year, though, I haven't been as dedictated in taking my supplements as I should. I barely made donation last time. So, I've been a good girl and eaten my oatmeal and broccoi and chicken and taken my pills.
Women have more trouble with iron deficiency because of our period. We lose iron every month. That blood is very heavy in iron, so we need to take more in. And on top of that, giving blood removes whole blood (including iron) from your system that you need to replace.
Today, I am going to donate platelets for the first time, instead of whole blood. Maybe this will be a better option for me, since only the platelets will be taken and not the whole blood. You can give platelets every 2 weeks, unlike whole blood, which is every 8 weeks. ( I was going every 10 weeks, to give myself more time to build up iron). I like to give blood because I have no money and very little time, but I feel like I want to make a contribution to my community.
I'm only a bit nervous. It will take a lot longer than regular donation, because they have to separate the platelets from the whole blood. Then the blood is returned to you. I don't like having stuff stuck in my arm and this will be about 1.5 hours. All told, I should be there for about 2 hours, which is not unusual for regular donation.
Update later.
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, Americans!
*****
Update: That went quite well. I took a book with me. Smart move bringing the paperback and not the huge hardcover, since I only had one hand that I could use.
I feel much better after giving platelets than I usually do giving blood. I walked upstairs without my heart racing and I don't feel as drained as I usually do. They're moving the clinic to the far side of the city and "up the mountain", as we say here. Of course, that's the Niagara Escarpment, not a mountain, but we have delusions of grandeur.
The best part? I didn't have to get my finger poked. I hate that part. Oh! And I have really a high platelet count. Over 200 is good. Mine was over 300. Woo! This may very well be the thing fo me. I'll see how I feel over the next few days, and if it's all good, I'll do this instead of whole blood. Yay!


20 Comments:
*smooches* for Seana!
Just remember that what you are doing may help save a life! It will be worth it.
Very nice idea Seana. You are a good soul.
I agree about the giving blood too. Makes you feel good. I was anemic too for awhile.
Yu will be fine, think of the donation time as a time to meditate or get away. Sounds crazy I know but us moms need to grab whatever time we can!
Wow, you impress me, Seana. I am also currently anemic. I'm working on upping my iron intake (shredded wheat!). Let us know how it goes!
*smooches*
Hi, ladies!
Shouldn't you all be cooking or eating turkey?
Thanks for the kind words. *smooches*
MM: there are a lot of different iron supplements you can get. If you have a peristant problem, like me, it can really make a difference.
Oh, story! I'm trying to spend less money so last night, I asked the pharmacist (because you have to ask for the iron stuff at the counter) if there was a generic I could get. He spent a while telling me about how you get iron in your diet and how only anemic people need iron. I told him twice that this is what my doctor told me to take, and he still seemed to think I was faking some kind of problem and tried to talk me into supplements with less elemental iron in them. Is there a big problem with iron abuse? Sheesh.
Ack!! blodd, needles...*faint*
You're great for doing this. Wish I could.
I meant blood. See how it affects me.
That's wonderful that you donate blood, Seana. I wish I could, but they won't take mine.
Glad your platelet count was above average! I'm impressed at your dedication in the blood-giving department- I don't know anyone who goes regularly. Good for you!
I always faint, because I have low blood pressure. Plus I've been pregnant or nursing for the last three years or so, so I'm out of the running right now.
My mom swears by kale for her low iron.
Good for you Seana! I miss donating blood. I was up over 25 donations when I was diagnosed with my thyroid problem and now, due to my medication, I can't donate anymore. I was so sad when they told me that I cried.
I always felt so good after donating blood. I even talked my sister into going with me. I think she stopped going though after I did.
The first time I went I went with a friend who is a regular donor. I was so afraid that I'd pass out because I'd done that a couple times after bloodwork when I was pregnant. Now I'm so used to it that needles don't bother me at all. That's good because I have to go for regular bloodwork now and I have rolling veins which can be tricky to pin down at times.
Good luck with the iron suppliments. I have a girlfriend who has to take them and it makes a huge difference for her too.
Sometimes with a lot of iron it backs you up and you need to take a stool softner.
(sorry to bring that back up)
Is that also a cause of hemerrhoids, Zombs??? *giggle*
Aren't you glad I didn't make you a hemerrhoid siggie for Xmas??? *wink*
LOL Nutz! I would have used it with pride!
I haven't been here almost all day. I babysat today and the kids were here at 6:00 am. The boy was with us all morning, then I picked up his sister and my DD for lunch, then took them all back to school.
I was supposed to have them after school, but their mom got off work early. I am so freaking tired.
Anyway.
Carey: never change. I *heart* you exactly as you are, scared of needles, blood, spiders and germs. *sanitised, bug-free smooch*
Arkie: *unicorn smooch*
Coco: I never tried kale, but I just hate spinach and Swiss chard and I thought it might be like that.
Zombie: I know about the need for fibre. Actually, after a while, your body gets used to the high intake and everything evens out.
Nutz: No hemerrhoids here. :-)
Lights: That's too bad that you can't donate anymore. I understand how you feel. When they turned me down that time, I was upset all day. My DH used to donate plasma, but can't now because of his heart meds. I actually started going to impress him, back when we were first dating. He had given me a stirring speech about saving lives and giving back. *sigh* A good man.
There was a big gap in my donations after I left uni and the clinic didn't come to me, but I started going again about 4 years ago, with breaks for pregnancy and breastfeeding, of course.
Thanks, Seana!
The strangest thing: I had a dream this morning that I gave blood. Ooooh, that reminded me of most of my dream. Anyhow, I cried like a babay in my dream last night when they tood the blood.
Good for you. I also donate blood, just not mine. I do however donate Mr Bob's.
LOL I used to donate regularly. Then the last couple of times that the blood drive van has come to work has been right after I've been sick and on antibiotics. Hopefully next month....
Kale is disgusting and vile. This does not prevent my mom from making (and eating, gag) kale and peanut butter sandwiches.
I can't donate, because I never have time. Nor do I eat enough. Oh- and I smoke, so I assumed they don't want it....
*shrug*
I guess I just don't know much about it.
OK, I'm back. I've been *gasp* spending time with my family.
Rose: They'll take you if you smoke, but you need to be healthy (no colds or anything) and pass the iron test. Also, you get to answer really intrusive questions about your sex life, and whether you've taken money or drugs for sex.
I wouldn't go with the kids, though.
Post a Comment
<< Home