My Husband Drives Me Nuts
DH is a picky eater. He doesn't trust me that some food is good, and won't eat it. He *will* eat Kraft Dinner with ketchup, bologna and any number of other disgusting foods, but put spaghetti sauce made with chunks of tomatoes in front of him and he runs away making retching noises.
For years, when I would make something he hadn't previously approved, he would turn up his nose and leave me with days of leftovers. We would argue. I would use the broccoli gambit:
"How do you know you don't like this? You've never tried it! You've never even tried broccoli and you go on about how you hate that too!"
Maybe 2 years ago he said:
"Well fine, make the stupid broccoli! Um, what does it taste like?"
"Kinda like cabbage," I said.
So, now he likes broccoli raw, steamed, roasted or in a stir fry.
Believe it or not, when I met him, he wouldn't eat onions. He likes them now.
Lasagne looked weird and had all that white cheese stuff in it...ew. By his request, we'll be having that this week.
For years he'd tell me how my cooking wasn't like his mother's. Well duh. And I love his mother and everything, but she doesn't make food from scratch and the thought of eating so much packaged food makes me ill.
Anyway, we were at her place for dinner a few years ago and he wasn't eating as much as he usually does. I asked if he was OK. He said he was fine, but the food wasn't the way I make it. Ha!
Over the last couple of months, I've made perhaps 3 banana cakes. I object to throwing things out, and people haven't been eating the bananas and they've gotten too ripe. OK, so I make cake with them. No-one likes the cake but me. Ew, they say. How yucky. So, I took one to Dad's on the 17th. DH tried a piece. Now he is happy that there were overripe bananas, which I have again made into a cake.
So, after years of sneering at my cake, he is now enjoying it. He should just trust me, don't you think? Look at how many times I've been right.


20 Comments:
Wow, you're a super mom/wife! I'm a little bit like your DH myself, being a picky eater and all, but I still had to introduce my DH to things like broccoli. And I still can't get him to eat green beans.
Is banana cake like banana bread?
Hi, MM!
Kinda like banana bread, but sweeter and more of a cake texture. It's also a lot moister.
DH thinks I'm picky because I won't eat a lot of processed stuff, so maybe it's an eye of the beholder type thing. :D
I'll be back later to read!
FOr now...Twister time!
*spins*
right foot blue!
Look out I am doing a split!
LMAO - Your DH and mine are similar. My ex was even worse. My ex would eat only hamburgers, spaghetti, very plain lasagne, tacos and macaroni and cheese. Oh, and cereal and bologna sammiches. That was it.
My DH? Will eat a lot of things. He won't eat onions if he can see them. He doesn't much like broccoli, but will eat it as part of a casserole or occasionally as a side veggie. I'm not supposed to cook chicken more than once a week because that's just too much. *grin*
MEN!
My BIL is a very picky eater but out of spite will not ever try anything new! If someone says, "Oh, you are gonna love this!" He won't even taste it. Irritates the shit outta me.
One of my best friends eats everything out of a box. Kraft Mac and Cheese is his favorite. He hired me to cook for his family once and he wanted mac and cheese. I made it from scratch and he asked if next time I would just buy the boxed stuff. *rolls eyes*
DAMN STRAIGHT MEN!
I need the banana cake recipe. Yum. Yes, he is acting like a child. If he will try it he might like it, just like you said. Mine is the opposite. He will eat anything you put in front of him if he likes it or not. LOL!
Can i come and eat at your house? Yummmy.
My sister is the pickiest eater in the world. She won't eat anything. My Dad literally has to hide something in his food when he is making something so she'll eat it. (yes my Dad is the cook in my house). Meanwhile I will try most stuff and I end up liking it after doubting people. Though i will never like brussel sprouts.
My husband used to rave about my cooking. There were times when I wanted to smack him because he would ask, "Did you do something different with this this time?". But for the most part he would eat it all. I really don't cook very often anymore. I love to do it, I just don't have the time. It's hard to get home at 6 and then start dinner.
One thing he is picky about, which is kind of strange is milk. He doesn't drink milk on a regular basis of any kind. He also doesn't eat cereal. But if I cook and use 1% or 2%, he'll question that.
WTFever.
To update: This cake had more bananas in it than the other one. It is inferior cake and will be eaten only by me. Dammit.
Zombie: where did this Twister thing start? Do they really have a travel version, 'cause you'd probably get arrested for trying to drive with your ass in the air.
Momma: you only have chicken once a week? Wow. DH and I don't usually have beef more than once a month. Chicken, pork or a veggie meal (like pizza or a stir fry). I even make the spaghetti sauce with ground chicken.
LOL vols! Who would turn down real mac and cheese for KD? Even my DH likes my real M&C better. Oh, he didn't believe me about that either. Or scalloped potatoes. He likes those now too.
Sonya: I'll post it. It's from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, so it's not a family recipe or anything.
Carey: you are welcome to come over to eat any time. I'll make something yummy.
UKR: That's the spirit! Brussels Sprouts are inedible. Don't worry if you don't like them. :D
Boohoo: It used to be like that for me too, when I worked. It was always difficult to make dinner after getting home so late. DH used to help by defrosting something or chopping veggies.
Dobie: Yes, I drool when I erad your blog. I wish I could make some of the coll stuff you do. *pout*
My ex was like that. All he ever wanted was Hamburger Helper. Or for me to cook some gawd-awful mess like his mom cooked.
He would always tell me I should ask her how to cook certain things. The worst was this one time when we were at his parents house having dinner. She had made lasagna, and it was so dry, I had a very difficult time choking it down. Dumbass looks at me, and says "you should ask Mom how to make this". I got kind of snotty with him - told him I happened to like *my* lasagna.
Anyway, men are dorks sometimes.
I'm like your husband and my repertoire is getting smaller and smaller all the time. I didn't eat salad dressing or rice until I was an adult.
Heh, My DH will eat anything and everything.
Well lookie there! Who says men can't change!
Seana? Is today your birthday too?
Why do I think it is her birthday?
Wow, Zombie! I'm impressed. Tomorrow is my birthday. I will be 33.
OMG! Seana is going to have a birfday???
*gets busy planning*
Happy birthday, Seana! Are you sure you didn't mean to write DS? He sounds like a little kid.
My kids are very picky. One won't eat anything with sauce and the other is a vegetarian who seems to hate most veggies.
Cooking is a thankless task in my house.
You can cook for me.
I eat anthing, as does Mr Bob.
well except icky, icky mushrooms.
Post a Comment
<< Home