Employed
So I went to an agency that deals with catering firms and put my name in to be a catering server. As luck would have it, the agent needed someone for Saturday, so I have been rushing around trying to find a black button-down shirt and black tie. You would think it would be easy to find a black button-down shirt, but it isn't. Many shirts have patterns, or the buttons don't go all the way to the top or they're see-through or something. Anyway. Done and done. The school secretary and another Breakfast Club mom are my references because every company I've worked for in the last 10 years has been closed down, the personnel scattered to the four corners of the world.
Now the other thing I have needed to do for this is get my SmartServe accreditation. This is a course that teaches you how to serve people alcohol without letting them get pissing drunk. It is illegal in Ontario to allow people to get pissing drunk. So I have been learning the law and how to estimate Blood Alcohol Content based on the approximate height/weight of women and H/W and age of men. I think people would be insulted to learn that if their server has this certification, that s/he is trying to guess their weight and age every time they are served an alcoholic beverage.
DH has been given a $50 gift card to a restaurant. Maybe we'll go tonight. The card came from work. Funny story: they had a competition to see which department could get their space cleaned up the nicest. DH's department dutifully cleaned and some people, including DH, came in on days off to do some extra. Then the management cancelled the competition because of lack of participation. Someone wrote them a letter expressing the idea that they had put the work in already and it was unfair to them that it should be cancelled. I would express the thought that if no-one shows up to run against you in a race, you win by default. Thus, the shipping department got the prize. Woo.


3 Comments:
Hope the catering gig goes well! My cousin's umfriend is doing well with his catering business. FWIW, I'd hire you. :-)
And have a nice night out with DH! You both deserve it.
Congrats on the job, Seana!
I'll have a long island,thanks. :)
I've never heard of the Smart Serve Accreditation. I wonder if the U.S. has something like that. I hope the job goes well. You'll probably meet some interesting people or hear interesting stories.
I totally agree with awarding the $50 gift certificate even with poor participation. It's good that someone spoke up.
Maybe your waiter at the restaurant you go to will be guessing YOUR weight!
Post a Comment
<< Home