Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rambling

I just realised who M reminds me of. Maureen. She reminds me of Maureen. The way she inhales while talking when she's smoking, her inability to just be alone...either she has someone with her or she's on the phone, the way she holds her arms and kind of flips them over each other when she crosses them. Good grief. At least I don't wish M would drop off the face of the planet. To be fair, now that DH's mother's husband is in the rest home, there's not much likelihood that we'll ever have to put up with Maureen again. And it's not like she's been around much in the last 5 years anyway. She sure did pack a lot of drama into the first years we knew her. I hate drama.

I expect M would do better with counselling than with meds, but meds seem to be in vogue. I think K needs counselling too, but D keeps hims on the pills. I made a deal with him this week that if he doesn't pee himself, I won't give him any pills. Last Friday, he hid his pill under some paper on the side table. So far, so good. 1 day left! AND! We have a planned activity! We're going to the beach with L and C and C's cousin.

I went on a job interview today. It was for a part-time receptionist at a hair salon. There was a marketing aspect to it. Apparently, they have a salon-industry-specific computer program that helps generate reminder notices and the like and they are going to start using it. They need someone with computer skills to help them get it off the ground. This is totally my kind of thing: starting with nothing and building something cool. But I didn't get a Yay! vibe. I can't imagine why not. I wish I'd have said so when they asked the question "Are you interested?" because it's not right to keep people dangling. I will call in the morning and ask to be taken out of the running. In any event, I think I can do better than minimum wage, even for a 2-day a week job.

I checked a couple sites to see what a decent wage for a receptionist in this area is. It's better than $8.75. I also checked for Administrative Assistant with 5 years experience. I was being underpaid at my last job, apparently. If only I wanted full time, I could be making a fair bit of money. Alas.