Bitching
M and her DD have moved back in with her mother and brothers across the street. For a week while DD was at Y camp, she was over here 3 and 4 times a day every day. Because her DD was bored. P is 6 and not a good match for DS and the brothers. Not a good match for my DD either. I don't like the way she plays sometimes. A nice girl, and 6, obviously, but there was the time she got upset that the boys didn't want to play with her in the yard and got herself wet with the neighbour's hose and then told me that DS and the brothers had sprayed her with the hose. Or when DS was telling her that Younger Brother was riding his scooter and he was riding DD's (both are the same colour), she started to tease him for riding a girl's scooter. This is stupid on a number of levels and angers me because it undermines everything I try to teach my kids about how anyone can like anything - don't let advertisers tell you what you can play with. She had barely started speaking when I cleared my throat behind them anyway, but still.
I hope that things will calm down soon because I can't be expected to entertain mother and daughter all summer. I have been trying to get them to come with us to the parks within walking distance so they can see that such parks are available and that they don't have to sit on the porch all day every day waiting for people to talk to/play with. She always has something to do those days. Of course, when I said that I had almost invited them with us in the car somewhere, but didn't for want of another car seat, she was disappointed. I think she was also disappointed that day when I didn't suggest that P come to the park with us while M sat on the porch. She says she's got some anxiety problem that she has meds for, but she'll walk to the grocery store with us (Hey, Seana, you doing anything today? The store? Mind if we go too?) so I don't understand why she doesn't want to learn where the local parks are. I take kids to parks for a living, for crying out loud. FTR, M has had a horrific year, with both her husband and father dying in the space of a few months. I appreciate her invitations to chat on the porch, but I have 4 kids to look after here, and even though I''m not getting paid for it (!!!!!!!), I still have the responsibility. After today, only 6 days to go. I'm taking the last week of August off. The boys' mother better bloody well be looking for someone that last week because I am done, done, done.
Oh look, there's P at the door again. No doubt wanting to play on the swings in the back yard.
I have been feeling put upon for months in one way or another. I told the boys' mom that I'm not doing this again and I mean it. Not Christmas, not March Break, not ever. The first week was awful. It couldn't have been worse. DS couldn't adjust. It's taken until now - now! - for him and Younger Brother to start playing nicely. YB was scratching DS for a while when DS wouldn't let him play with his toys. It was tense here for weeks. Last week, when DD was at Y camp was the worst. DS took over like a little tyrant. He was mean to P and the boys and anyone else. He just can't handle changes to his schedule. This week, Older Brother was sick for 2 days, so it's been a short week. Which has still dragged by. 6 more days.
I feel better for having griped. Now I will quit my whining and go do what needs doing.


2 Comments:
Seana, you are one of the sweetest and most caring souls I have ever met. You have the power to let that continue to be an asset rather than a liability.
Just remember that "no" is an acceptable answer, as well as a complete sentence. And there's nothing wrong with defending your nest.
Let them go make someone else miserable for a while.
*chooms*
*massages Seana's shoulders*
Post a Comment
<< Home