Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Painting

Ye gods how I hate painting. But that's just what we're going to do with some of the tax return. What this means is that I will have to clean 4 rooms: the living room, the dining room (they're really one big room somewhat separated by a sort of frame), DD's room, DS's room and the stairwell. We also plan to put that stone finish stuff on the front porch so that we will look less like a crack house. Yes, the peeling paint on the porch is ugly, but I really object to the paint being on there in the first place. I have been scraping bits of it off for ages now. I guess I'll have to actually make a day of it or something.

I just hate painting. Well, the painting itself isn't too bad. I don't like the taping off and moving stuff and running into problems. If all there was to it was slapping a coat of paint on a wall, it'd be just fine.

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:07:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

Yup. The prep stuff stuff takes three times as much effort as the actual painting.

I hate most: painting ceilings.

I like best: getting color chips from the paint store and narrowing my choices down to the exact, perfect color & tone I want.

 
At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:22:00 PM, Blogger mtw said...

I agree with both of you - the prep work is BORING! I don't like painting the edges, especially with our textured walls. Taping never works quite well enough because the paint bleeds through the little texture spots. I end up having to do it freehand which takes more talent than I possess.

*smooch* <-- cuz it's been way too long since I've smooched you!

 
At Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:10:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I'll come and paint! I don't even mind the prep work and clean-up. Well, I'm not a fan of cleaning brushes, so make the kids do that part.

What colors are you doing?

 
At Friday, April 04, 2008 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Swami: yeah, I don't know what do do with the ceiling in the LR. It's got some beautiful texturing, but also some red spots where DS threw his sticky bugs up and they stuck. *sigh* So it needs to be done, but I don't want to obliterate the pretty circular details that I could never duplicate.

MTW: Loves me a good *smooch*!

weltek: The colour scheme will be based around the drapes, which are a light sage. Kind of greeny, but not dark. I wanted a dark tan on the walls and beige for the trim. I find earthy tones comforting. I did the nursery in greens and browns. Like the outdoors. DD has very definite views and she thinks this would look awful and is leaning towards a complementary blue.

 
At Friday, April 04, 2008 3:46:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

*grabs paint brush*

*flicks bristles*

*oohs & ahhs at the splatter pattern*

 
At Friday, April 04, 2008 4:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a color called Sawyer's Fence (Duron - a tan color) in our dining room. I love this color and could pretty much do every room in it. Not possible.

We have Navahoe White (Ben Moore) in our living room. It's been five years, and it's time for a change in there. Not sure what yet. Perhaps another shade of tan.

We need to paint every single room of our house except for Conner's room and the dining room. I think I'm really going to go bold in our kitchen since it has a vaulted ceiling and lots of windows and white cabinets.

Michael thinks he's going to paint in the fall, but I am hosting Bunco in August, and I really want it done by then.

 
At Sunday, April 06, 2008 8:27:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

I'm with you in the Hate Painting Camp. I'm so glad that 90% of our house is now freshly painted.

During our recent painting spree we used a different method of cleaning brushes that really worked great. I had one roller and one brush for each color and after each coat I would put each brush in a plastic bad and wrap it up tightly. When I was ready to paint again I took the brush out of the bag and painted. No cleaning required. When I was done I threw them out. The guy at the paint store said to put them in the fridge but I didn't bother doing that and had no problems.

Good luck with the painting, Seana!

 
At Sunday, April 06, 2008 10:00:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

We hate painting so much, we're paying a friend of ours to do it! But even then, we've got to move all sorts of junque from one room to the next and get it out of her way. Of course, we're getting rid of said junque too.

Why we didn't do this when we first moved into Casa del Cyg, we'll never know.

*chooms*

 
At Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:54:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I was gone for a few weeks. It's good to see that you're back. I like painting because you can actually see what you've accomplished immediately.

 
At Friday, May 23, 2008 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Tummy said...

You've been tagged. Hopefully you check your blog more frequently than you post to your blog :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home