Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wow

I can't believe it's been a month since I last posted. I'm sorry.

I have hurt my knee again. And it was my own damned fault. Ugh. I left a vacuum attachment on the stairs (I think it fell off the ledge, because I'm not in the habit of leaving things on the stairs) and then I stepped on it going down the stairs. I twisted my leg to avoid putting weight on it and now my knee is back to feeling like my kneecap is going to pop off. Dammit.

*****

2 Situations that Are Technically None of My Business, but which Trouble Me Anyway

The 8-year-old boy I babysit pees his pants nearly every day. He was doing very well for a while there, but now he's doing it again. By "very well", I mean that he was only doing it every couple days or so. His mother has spoken to him on numerous occasions. She has taken him to the doctor. I have tried subtly suggesting a reward system by telling her all about how well the reward thing worked when we were trying to get DS to sleep in his own bed and to get DD to keep her room clean. I don't want to beat her in the head about it because she has never actually asked for advice. I am not the world's most perfect parent, but it is my belief that the first thing she should do is tell her mother to stop telling the boy that the only reason he still does it is that he's lazy. And forbid her to say that loudly in front of rooms full of people. It is my belief that this doesn't help. She should also refrain from saying that herself. He husband should also not say it.

It is my belief that this is a bad habit like nail biting or smoking or whatever and that it should be treated as such with a reward system. (Come to think on it, I *did* say that once or twice.) I have instituted one here that the mother doesn't know about. I am afraid she'll think I'm getting in her business. He gets a penny every time he goes to the bathroom and a dime if he goes the whole day without me seeing a spot on the front of his pants. I feel like a total pervert always looking at his crotch. He was doing very well for a while, but then I tried letting him go to the bathroom by himself instead of me telling him when to go. I did 2 loads of laundry on Monday because he only had one spare set of pants with him and he wet them both.

His mother took him to the doctor on Tuesday and came back with a prescription for some ADHD drug. This upsets me. But it is technically none of my business.

*****

One of the teachers at the school has had a bit of a rough patch lately. Some time before Christmas, he suffered a giant and very costly disappointment. I worried about him over the holidays. At some point in December, he obtained a girlfriend. He has now purchased a ring and is intending to give it to her, some time this week I think. We do not know each other very well. However, it seems like this is too short a time to decide that this is the person you want for life. Additionally, he was on quite the emotional roller coaster before. I'm afraid he's not thinking clearly.

I will be unable to say "Congratulations" or "I'm happy for you" unless I hear the magic words: "3-year engagement". I hope he doesn't show me the ring in front of other people, because I find it difficult to manage a smile under these circumstances. I wish he would stop talking to me about it. He's going to ask why I'm grimacing at him. I don't lie and there isn't any alternative. Usually, I can come up with something both positive and true to say.

Technically, this is none of my business.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*smooch*

I am glad you are back! I checked here earlier, and I was disappointed you were not.

Conner has had a few setbacks lately with pooping in his pants. But he is 3 and not 8, so there is a difference. I'm glad you are rewarding him. Last night's issue with Conner was about this, but it was because he lied to me and then he was also not nice.

I too think that is too soon. But perhaps it will work out. I don't know.

Have I told you I'm glad you are back.

I can't really talk about work on my blog. Perhaps I will vent somewhere soon.

 
At Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:23:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

That poor boy. :(

The other guy? Meh. It's his own thing. Not much you can do. Just say a cordial congrats and be objective.

I missed you mostest!!! *smooch*

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:01:00 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

I'm still chuckling about you being a pervert and looking at the boy's crotch all the time.

I'm glad that you updated. I need to update one of these days, too.

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:05:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

Seana!! I missed you the most!!

*smooch*

Now, as for the blog entry, first, I'm so sorry about the knee! That stinks.

The 8 year old should definitely be seeing a doctor. That is highly unusual. The damage his parents are doing by talking about it in front of others is just horrifying. Poor kid. (and by doctor, I don't necessarily mean a pediatrician, either. I'm thinking there is something else going on there that needs identifying)

About the other guy, I doubt there is any good that can come from you voicing your feelings. Might just have to live and learn. And who knows? Maybe it won't be so bad.

Welcome back!!

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Seana is back! Yay!

Off the cuff I would say the boy's parents are doing just about everything wrong. Poor kid. This is why people need to see a Behaviourist. They can come up with a program that will help out. But it would surely include some changes on the parents' part too.

Once the ring is out the only thing to do is say congratulations. *shrug* People do the darndest things and some marriages after a few weeks of acquaintance last forever. Some marriages after 5 years of courtship go to hell really fast.

I'm glad you're back!

 
At Friday, April 13, 2007 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

Ack. He showed me the ring. I said "Good luck."

Seana <--dishonest, though not exactly a liar.

 
At Friday, April 13, 2007 12:38:00 PM, Blogger Lasann said...

It's "good luck" to the the girl and "congrat" to the male. I always giggle on that.

*shakes head* - why parent's think that humiliation is good parenting is beyond me.

Ouch on the knee.

 
At Friday, April 13, 2007 1:36:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

You people and your injuries! Feel better soon!

Sorry about the two problems. It's unfortunate your advice wasn't at least tried for the boy. And as for the teacher? You responded fine and that is all you can do.

 
At Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:06:00 PM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Sorry about your knee...

I agree with MM and Swami that the child needs to see a doctor because there is something definitely wrong going on here. I find it hard to believe that the mother could take him to a pediatrician for ADHD medication and the pediatrician wouldn't make a recommendation...?!

Put me in the camp with the "too soon" folks as far as the engagement is concerned. You're right that there's not a lot you can do about it though. I hope it works out for the best for both future spouses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home