Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Actually, I forgot all about that until I was checking the date just now.

I don't care so much about St. Patty's. I've never been a big drinker. I drink, and I enjoy wines and liqueurs, but beer is icky and getting drunk and rowdy doesn't appeal to me.

Now, the Ides of March, that's a whole nother thing. I took the kids (2 of mine, 2 I babysit) to the Children's Museum on Thursday and they made laurel headdresses. We invited another mother with her 2 and 1 that she babysits to come with. I got to explain about Julius Caesar and the "Et tu, Brute" thing. Ah, obscure knowledge, how I love it.

It's been a busy day:

Today was DD's last day for this session of swimming. She didn't pass. I'll be signing her up for the same level next session. *sigh* She has repeated every level so far. We don't make an issue of it, though.

Then, we went to one of the kids' cousin's birthday party. It was at McDonalds's. I ate at McDonald's. Yack. I had a deli sammich on whole wheat with milk. And some fries. But no cake! A much older cousin (she's 19) was working, but her boyfriend came to "help out". Is that what that was? We think he's a leech. Seriously. Someone told me he is 26. 26! And he lives with his girlfriend in her mother's basement. SIL is afraid to toss is useless ass in case her DD goes with him. Here's the weird bit, though: I've never seen a couple so completely uninvolved with each other. They don't hold hands or kiss or hug or anything. The first time I met him was at Christmas 2 years ago. I thought he was a friend of her brother's. They barely even talked.

Thing that he said to me that most completely illustrates my impressions of him: (I mentioned that I love the breadmaker that MIL gave us because I could make all kinds of things, including cinnamon rolls.)

"What's that about cinnamon rolls? I love those! Did you bring some? You can't just say something like that and then not put out."

He is a tool.

Then we went to visit MIL, who lives in the same town. I reek. I've come upstairs to put on another shirt that doesn't smell like smoke. I hope that she's doing well. She's not a complainer, so you won't know unless you ask kind of thing. But with everyone so busy with their lives, I think she's gotten a bit lost in the shuffle. We've been visiting much more frequently lately.

We've just gotten back from Blockbuster and everyone but me is watching Air Buddies. Ew. I will go make dinner.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:12:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I've never been drunk, and with the meds I'm now on, the chances of me getting there are just about zero. But I've come close.

One night years ago, I went with my buddies to watch Monday Night Football at the local Chi-Chi's, and I had two of the tall 24-ounce-drafts. Since I had such a low tolerance of alcohol, I returned to my house draped across the doorway going, "Hiiiiii!" Fortunately, I was not driving.

Good luck to DD. I'm still waiting for that swim meet with the WaterBugmeats. :-)

Sounds like a really weird situation with your cousin and her BF. But sometimes, folks have to learn the hard way.

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:05:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Hi Cyg: it's a niece, actually.

Keep waiting for a swim meet. I'm thinking it won't be for a very long while. DD's biggest problem is that she puts her feet down in the middle of swimming a width.

We used to have ChiChis around here. Deep-fried ice cream = yummy

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 11:52:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Can we not talk about french fries? I could eat a whole basket right now.

I'm a St. Patty's Day lover. To me, it's very much about being with friends and being friendly with strangers. That whole feeling of group commradery when out & about is great. Of course, we are daytime drinkers and called it quits when we were full at 7:00, thus avoiding the whole sloppy druink thing.

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 1:35:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

How nice to take the kids to the museum!

I hate beer, too. And I rarely drink too much. I despise it when people are even "a little buzzed", and driving. And DH and I don't drink at home, so as a result, I rarely drink at all, and only "too much" if I don't have to drive.

*smooch*

 
At Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dinner? Did you bring some? You can't just talk about dinner and then not put out.

I'm not a big St. Patty's Day person either. I happened to be watching neighbor boy this weekend and, since it was cold, we did an art project where we made shamrocks and decorated them with glitter. I was impressed with myself.

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 1:20:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

*pout* I miss you. Hope all is well.

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 10:22:00 AM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Hiya!

Thought of you last night when I was talking fantasy novels with a friend...

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

Seana, are you there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home