Too Much
In 2000, my husband had a heart attack. Then he got to have an angiogram and then an angioplasty. In both procedures, an itty bitty camera is inserted into an artery in your inner thigh and run up into your heart. In the angiogram, they just look. In the angioplasty, a small reinforcing tube called a 'stent' is placed in the artery. You can get more detailed information here.
Then he had to go on a bunch of pills including 2 for lowering cholesterol and triglycerides. He is a picky eater, but managed to perservere and now eats much healthier. Because of the triglycerides, we have been watching his sugar intake, but not much.
So he went for his regularly scheduled blood tests 2 weeks ago. You see, when you're on as many pills as DH is, you need to get checked to make sure your liver can still handle it. His sugar was high.
Oh goodie. His father had diabetes. So do both his sisters, though one was just diagnosed at Christmas and is still controlling it with diet. As it happens, DH's father died of a heart attack brought on by diabetes.
So he went in for another test. Guess who's borderline diabetic?
That's right, DH.
So today, the doctor gave him a prescription for testing strips. He bought a monitor and the strips and 2 of his regular pills. It came to $600. Yes, we have a plan, but we only get 80% back and we have to pay up front.
Of course, the doctor also wants him to play it safe, so it's a full diabetic's diet for him. She wants him to be extra safe, what with 2 conditions to worry about. He also has to start exercising more. He's supposed to lose about 10 pounds. Last year at Christmas, my mother said she was so enamoured of her Bowflex that if we girls wanted one, she'd get one for us. Maybe I should ask her if she was serious.
My Dad's GF gave us some Splenda and I made cookies with it, but they taste weird.
And you know what? My DH is a healthy-looking guy. He's strong and capable and in pretty good shape. He's 39 years old.
Bloody hell.


21 Comments:
Thank goodness your doctor seems to be on top of things. And this will promote good, healthy eating in your kids, too.
I know it sounds bad but this could be good. If he gets this in control it could solve a lot of the other problems.
I have been doing the low sugar "diet" throughout this pregnancy even though I was not diagnosed with gest. diabetes. You do learn to get used to the sugar free stuff. I hope to continue it after I am done. It is good for everyone.
I hope things work out well for you all!
*smooch*
Oh no! I'm sorry Seana. Like the others pointed out, it's better to be aware of all this now. *sigh*
{{hugs}}
In all honesty, it's an adjustment, but it's not as bad as you'd think. And don't cook with Splenda alone. Use half Sweet and Low (or Splenda) and half sugar. Which really is about 1/4 and 1/4 of what a recipe calls for with just plain sugar.
DH was diagnosed diabetic a couple of years (3?) ago. Moderate diet changes for him (the kids and I eat pretty healthy), a switch to diet cola and unsweet tea, some excersize (walking is best), and remembering to actually take his insulin was the hardest bit.
I've got tons of tips for you, if you want them. Money saving ones, problems to watch out for, gimmicky type stuff to avoid...just let me know.
*smooch*
All I know is that it is very important to control your blood-sugar. Crucial even.
Bummer that this happens to a 39 year old guy.
Thank-you all for the kinds words.
In truth, there isn't too much to change. Our dinners have been quite healthy since the heart troubles, because I have to keep things low-fat. But now I'll have to be careful about sugar too. I make a couple things with ketchup and brown sugar, like meatballs and sloppy joes.
It will be the lunches (pakced for work) and breakfasts (often skipped) that might be the hardest adjustment.
Puffy: Very true. I'm glad his doctor is so (blech, I hate this word) proactive about stuff like this.
Zombie: Wow. Preggie, 2 preschoolers *and* a low-sugar diet? I'm totally impressed.
Thanks, MM. We sort of throw up our hands and say "what next?" when this kind of thing happens. Then we buckle down and get to it.
Momma: I'd really like to take you up on that. I will flaggie you at the Other Place.
Swami: yes, we (meaning DH) will certainly keep track of his blood sugar. We figured out the monitor thingie today. DH loves gadgets. [/darkhumour]
Oh Seana. I'm so sorry. *hugs*
I preach to my students all of the time about this very thing and how it can happen and does happen to us at younger and younger ages.
Wow. Those are some pretty hefty things to be handling simultaneously.
The good news is that the whole family can benefit from the diet. The bad news is that it sucks avoiding all the non-healthy stuff.
I live on "substitutes" these days. I like Splenda well enough. I use Smart Balance light spread, laughing cow cheese and fat free singles for sammiches. I use all multigrain/whole grain breads.
Sweets are my downfall, but there are lots of low sugar products out there. I just hate avoiding baking because I love to bake.
Good luck & *Hugs*
Oh, and as for ketchup & soup, there are lots of low sugar things by Atkins these days. Some of the products are still high in fat & calories, but for things like ketchup & such, I think you are pretty safe.
Boo: yes, I really do need to start enforcing a healthier diet on the kids. I don't know if anyone remembers me saying it, but we have had some eating issues with DD that I wouldn't like to see crop up again. DS has an uncertain tummy at the best of times, but he is eating more of a variety now.
weltek: it's the baking I'm going to miss the most. I love to bake.
Oh Seana. :(
{{{hugs}}} for you and DH!
As those up there said, It will be an adjustment, but not impossible!
Good luck finding yummy, healthy stuff to eat.
Wow, a lot on your plate. *hugs*
My Mom is diabetic and has switched all of her sugar to Splenda. I use it too and for the most part don't even notice a difference.
*hugs for the Seana family*
{{hugs}}
Hugs Seana...
My dad has several heart issues, and has had so many stints put in that he was told that the last was the absolute last. No more...no matter what.
Hugs to you and your family I know what you ae going through with the cost of meds, and just the sheer fear that something could happen at anytime...
If you ever want to just chat you know how to get in touch with me.
Nutz: We are doing quite well adjusting. I know it will be habit after a while (it is with the low-fat), but for now I have to question everything I get at the grocery store. He can't even have his Tang anymore. I used to get that to encourage him to drink something other than pop/soda/Coke.
Seana <--tri-lingual
Rant: Diet caffeine-free pop is *not* healthy. It doesn't have sugar or caffeine, sure, but it doesn't have anything else either. It's just a bunch of chemicals!
*****
Thank-you for the hugs, jen and arkie. I do appreciate the support of people here.
syren: Thank-you so much for your concern. I hope your father can ward off the need for any new procedures he wouldn't be eligible for anyway. That's scary. He's on all the pills, then? They interfere with everything. DH can't even take Pepto if his stomach is upset (stomach-coating interferes with absorption of one pill). He can't take cold medicine either. Poor bastard.
I thought he would be one of those people who refused to change. But he did a great job. Of course, he had to have his ass kicked by a heart attack to take a good look at what he was doing wrong... *grin*
Good grief, Seana. What a load!
I hope you can incorporate this stuff into your diet with the least amount of fuss necessary, and that your husband doesn't develop full-blown diabetes.
*BIG HUGS* So sorry Seana!
It really is a chore trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat/drink anymore.
Sending you and your DH my very best wishes. I do hope that a change in diet will be all that is required to keep the sugar levels low.
All my best to you and DH both. #hug#
*snort* @ your tri-lingual-ness! :P
Gah! That's so young. Yes, it's good the doctoris proactive and moving foward (I hate both those terms by the way)
Oatmeal is fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home