Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Painting

I tried to paint the front porch railing today. It looks OK from a distance, but up close you can see that I failed to completely remove all the previous 50 layers of paint. There are drip marks and bumps. It is perhaps the worst paint job I have ever done. I only got the left side done because I had a helper and because the decorative wrought iron is twisty and turny and nice to look at, but a total bitch to paint.

I am covered in paint. Tremclad is oil-based. I had no turpentine. I tried my husband's pumice stone hand cleaner and finally, in desparation, nailpolish remover. No luck. I had to go to Canadian Tire to get some stuff to clean the brushes. I got off most of the paint from my hands, but there's still a fair bit. My hands hurt.

My son has paint on his hand. He won't let me remove it. He says he likes to smell it. My four-year-old son is a paint-sniffer.

9 Comments:

At Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:37:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

*snort* @ the paint sniffer. Better keep his markers away from him.

Hmm, sounds like you'll have to just wait it out. You don't want to further damage them by using harsh chemicals.

*smooch*

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:41:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

You DID put down a layer of primer, right? Right?
Carey<--expert painter. :)

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

For Xmas, get the kid one of those 'gross smells' scratch & sniff books. He'll be in heaven.

A twisty, curly railing would be a bitch to paint. I would have tried spray paint. It probably costs more but it would sure get into every little nook and cranny.

The best way to remove drips (when the drip isn't fully dry) is to put a strip of painters tape right over it, briefly rub it flat and pull the tape right off. You will need to touch up the spot but the drip look will be gone.

Swami<---watches HGTV too much

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:13:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Obviously you learned nothing from arkie's blog.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Zombs said...

Well that is better than being a chair sniffer.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

*sniff sniff*

Nice new paint smell in here.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger mtw said...

You missed a spot!

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 1:15:00 PM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Yeah, it starts with the paint sniffing at age four ... but you don't want to know where it ends up!

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006 2:35:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

*inhales paint fumes*

Thanks for the fix, Seana!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home