DS's Interview
This is mostly for my own benefit, so for those of you reading: it went quite well. You may now skip the details.
Some info: JK = Junior Kindergarten. It's not required by law for kids to attend JK, but it's generally thought to be a good idea. DS will be going half-days (8:50 - 11:20) every day. The children who ride on the bus will be with the other teacher full days every other day. I never liked that system. It's my opinion that kids that age can't handle 6 hours of school. I really think that every day is better for the routine, too. But I have no studies to back it up, so that's just what I think.
*****
We showed up right on time at 11:15. Mr. S welcomed us at the door of his room and said Hi to DS. DS was iffy about it and didn't want to go into the room. So I didn't push him and neither did Mr. S. (Mr. S is a quirky, silly and authoritative man. An odd combination, but he makes it work. He is maybe 5'5"; shorter than my 5'6", in any case. He also seems to be completely unflappable.) Mr. S went into the hallway for a moment and complimented DS on his shoes, which have lights that flash when you stomp them. Then he came back into the room, telling DS that he had some papers for me. He duly handed me a clipboard and DS inched his way into the room and looked around. DS had told me before that he would go into the JK room and play with the toys while I talked to the teacher, so I had had some hope.
Anyway, having given me the forms to fill out, Mr. S proceeded to show DS all the toys and activity centres. They made small talk. Mr. S and DS made it back to the desk where I was and Mr. S sat down and indicated that DS could climb up on the tall stool to "play a game". He had DS sort little coloured bears into bowls: red bears in red bowls, etc. and then asked him to put a bear "on", "in" and "beside" the bowl. They counted to 10. DS did very well. I very deliberately did not particpate after the papers were handed to me. This way DS could develop a relationship with his teacher that didn't include me.
In the end, Mr. S said DS would probably cry the first day, and that it was his way to say good bye to me at the door and then go right in to the school. I knew that and said so. He advised me to talk to DS about how he was going to be going to school without me and such. As if I haven't been doing that for the last 8 months.
After that, we found DD and had a picnic lunch. When her class came out for recess, she went happily with them, not even looking back. Much like her very first day of school some years ago. She always looks forward.
I started to take DS back home, but he wanted to watch DD play. So we did. I showed him "his" door, the JK/SK entrance and he seemed to like the idea, especially since his sister isn't allowed to go in that door. He has been alternating between talking about "his" classroom in "his" school" and telling me he doesn't want to go. But it might not be too bad.
Maybe.
Here's hoping.


8 Comments:
Mr. S. sounds like a good, intuitive guy. I hope the DS adjusts quickly! And I agree with you on the scheduling thing. Six hours is a loong time. Regular schedules are best.
*snort* I love the idea of telling him it's HIS door and that DS can't come in there.
Aww, sweet little guy! (DS, not Mr. S)
I think he'll be fine. You're a great mom, Seana. *smooch*
Mr. S. sounds terrific! How great to have a male JK teacher, too. He was testing your son's abilities, while playing with him and getting to know him. He'll be fine. And you'll be ALL ALONE AT HOME!!
Swami: Mr. S has been at it for years and years. Even DH likes his approach and he's not easy to please.
Kim: *grin* Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...
MM: DS *is* a good boy. And *blush*
Puffy: Shortly before DD started JK, I was chatting with a teacher who had been at our school. She told me that the JK and SK teachers were both male on purpose, because our area has a disproportionate number of children growing up in households without positive male role-models. Both are very good teachers. The kids love them both. I found it an interesting, if kind of illegal, hiring practice. I probably shouldn't tell anyone about it, since it's discriminatory, even if it *is*, IMO, a really good idea.
Recently learned stat: 1/5 of the people in our city live below the poverty line.
1/5? Really? It wasn't like that back when the big steel company on the bay ruled town!
I hope his first day goes okay.
Frankly, I agree with you about the male teachers, too. Can it really be discriminatory hiring practice if it's for such a good reason?
I think I need a job interview that involves putting coloured teddy bears in bowls.
Post a Comment
<< Home