Gorgeous
The weather, I mean. It was beautiful today. 25 degrees, sunny, but with a nice breeze. Perfect for DD's playday at school. DH is on afternoons, so he, DS and I walked to the local library branch. It's not a far walk, maybe 15 minutes.
I wonder how they decide what books go to what library branch. I also wonder what percentage of the new books our branch gets to keep. If the whole library system gets 100 books a year, do we get 2? I recently read a very thick biography of Henry VIII's wives. So now I'm on a bit of a history kick. This is great, because I don't learn very much anymore, and I wish I did. So I'm treating this like one of those cleaning fits that takes me from time to time and I'm going to try to learn as much history and read as many "classics" as I can while I'm still in the mood. I've gotten 4 stories into the Cantebury Tales. (The Miller's Tale has *poot*ing in it. Who knew? Great literature, that.)
Anyway, my point is that our branch doesn't have many newer history books. Now, I'll grant you that a case could certainly be made that nothing new has happened in the Middle Ages lately and that a book from 50 years ago will contain the same information, more or less, as one written last year. However, new documents may have been discovered. Also, people write with their own bias, which is sometimes a product of the time they live in. For example, from "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton, published 1940:
Of course the Greeks too had their roots in the primeval slime. Of course they too once lived a savage life, ugly and brutal. But what the myths show is how high they had risen above the ancient filth and fierceness by the time we have any knowledge of them.
On the other hand, reading what an author 50 years ago thought about a subject and comparing it to a more recent author's work would be another kind of learning, too, wouldn't it?
I guess I just don't trust past authors to have gotten it right, as if somehow, the more recently the book was written, the more accurate it should be. Which makes me a bit prejudiced. Which is the very trait I was trying to avoid in an author.
Impossible, I'm sure. I've read a few Tudor biographies, including one that was quite sympathetic to Anne Boleyn and another sympathetic to Mary Tudor (Bloody Mary) and thus, not so nice to Anne. Being an amateur, it's difficult to know who really knows their stuff and who's just spinning history to make their favourite character look good.
In any event, I should know more stuff by the end of the summer. Woo! Knowledge!


11 Comments:
Brrr...25 degreees is cold!
Silly Zombs, don't you know those Canadians use some type of foreign thermometer?
Yay! for Seana & summer reading! You know, our library is a network of libraries within the whole county. If my local branch doesn't have a book that I'm looking for, they will send it over from another branch. Do you have that type of system?
Can you just summarize all those into a 3 page paper at the end of the summer so I can learn, too?
I have the same kind of system at our library as Nutz. I can go on line and see what the other branches have, and request them.
And history has always been written and coloured by the winners.
LOL Zombie...I was in Florida when I was 17 and talking with a restaurant worker who was surprised that I was Canadian since I had a tan. Well, I told her, it was summer for us, too, and that it had been 30 degrees the day we left. She went back to her sweeping with such a look on her face. I was back in the hotel room before I realised what she heard and what I'd said were different.
Nutz and Survey: we do have that kind of system. It's very handy and I make extensive use of it. I had just kind of hoped that I could grab a book right then instead of ordering it and waiting the week or whatever.
weltek: Ha! Cheater.
Oh, you weren't talking about me?
*giggle*
I love reading, but I never read stuff that will make me smarter. I likes the brain rot. *grin*
I find it hilarious that you have this thirst for the classics and you come out with the "pooting" comment *gigglesnortgiggle*
Carey is so. cute.
Jen: I've been waiting for the brainrot to come in at the liberry. I've been on the list for weeks now. Give me my smut, damn you! So in the mean time, I amuse myself with this stuff.
Some Chaucer for Nookie:
Setup: It is nighttime and very dark. A lovesick guy (Absalon)wants a kiss from a chick who sticks her butt out the window for him to kiss instead, then laughs about it with her lover.
Now Nicholas had risen for a piss
And thought he could improve upon the jape
And make him kiss his arse ere he escape,
And opening the window with a jerk,
Stuck out his arse, a handsome piece of work
Buttocks and all, as far as to the haunch
Said Absalon, all set to make a launch,
"Speak pretty bird, I know not where thou art!"
This Nicholas at once let fly a fart
As loud as if it were a thunder-clap.
He was near blinded by the blast, poor chap.
I need to read. I just can't pull away from the damn knitting. When I'm not knitting, I'm reading about it.
Jeez. You're book sounds good. I've recently aquired this Nobel Prize winning Norwegian trilogy about the 14th century. "Kristin Lavransdatter portrays the clash between feudal violence and Christian Piety, traditional imperitives and the individual conscience...." That's about as far as I get before the itch to finish my suede hat starts in....
LMAO! That is hilarious!
"near blinded by the blast" BWAHAHAHAHA! I wonder if Carey's coworkers say the same thing when she poots *giggle*
Post a Comment
<< Home