Saturday, June 03, 2006

Now What?

My bad mood is almost gone. If only the rain would stop dripping out of the eavestroughs, I would practically be happy.

Even if I was in a totally pissy mood, what would I do? There's very little left to do. I reorganised the stuff in the living room last night. I even used the wood floor Swiffer stuff. I cleaned the kids' rooms and mine, too.

The closets are fine.

Maybe I'll clean out the fridge. Or the front hall table.

When I went insane last weekend and decided to get rid of everything in the basement that hadn't been used in 2 years or more, I took a lot of things to the transfer station. I broke down a high chair and a battery-powered swing that didn't work anymore. It was my intent to recycle the plastic, metal and cardboard. I didn't take the old computer towers or broken printer, because I thought they'd be garbage and I'd have to pay the $7.50.

Well, they've redone the transfer station. Now there is a spiffy residential recycling area. Recycling is free. Household hazardous waste is free too. There are places to toss the traditional cardboard and metal, as well as bins for electronics (d'oh!) and tires. Oddly, there was nowhere for plastics, so I ended up paying the stupid money. Maybe I should take the computer things today, since DH tripped on them last night. It's been there for a week, but it's my fault when he walks into it.

Did you know that those cool compact florescent bulbs qualify as hazardous waste? They have mercury in them. I didn't know that. We've been replacing all our incandescent bulbs with these things and now we have to take them to a special hazardous waste place when they burn out. Geez.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Yep, your batteries are considered to be hazardous waste too.

And if you're bored and looking for things to do, you can come over here and vacuum for me. *grin*

 
At Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:13:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

I confess that I just ignore the hazardous disposal stuff for itty-bitty things, on a regular basis. I'm good for regular recycling of mass quantities stuff, and old oil and paint & weed killer. But I will not go out of my way for a dime sized battery or a compact light bulb. Out they go with the trash!

 
At Sunday, June 04, 2006 10:29:00 PM, Blogger Surveysez said...

I'm with Swami on this one.

 
At Sunday, June 04, 2006 10:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*smooch*

I'll miss you!

 
At Monday, June 05, 2006 8:06:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

You wanna come sort my garbage? *grin*

While you're at it, you can clean out the basement. Sounds like fun, right?

 
At Monday, June 05, 2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I don't recycle anything. I throw batteries in the trash. *hangs head*

 
At Monday, June 05, 2006 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

I do a 'Project Fifty' on my basement whenever I can't stand it anymore. Fifty percent of everything in the basement must go. It's brutal, but when your full basement is reduced to narrow walking paths then something has got to give.

We are all pack rats. It's painful.

 
At Monday, June 05, 2006 7:42:00 PM, Blogger mtw said...

*smooch*

I'm just glad you're back here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home