Pretty Back Garden
So Mother's Day was very nice. I turned the dirt in the back garden and pulled up all the annoying groundcover stuff. We replaced it not with the dwarf forsythia that I wanted, but something called Spirea

You can't really see from this picture, but this type has both white and purple flowers. I also got a "Golden" one, meaning the leaves are gold, but I don't know where to put it.
My neighbour also gave me a cranberry or something bush. I'm not sure where to put it. Finally, I got a package of Canadian heritage seeds. These are like tiger lilies, which I love. They won't actually sprout until next year, if I plant them now. So I'll be doing that on the 2-4 weekend. Note to Americans: This weekend is a long weekend. We are celebrating the birthday of Queen Victoria ("We are not amused." ) Her birthday was actually the 24th of May, but we just take the Monday before the 24th off and call it the 24th Long Weekend. Traditionally, this is the weekend to open up cottages and put in gardens.
I am reminded that I need to go get some fireworks to shoot off in the back yard. The people in the trailers always look at me funny when I say I don't want anything that actually shoots up into the air more than 4 feet. I just really think that's dangerous. Those spark fountain things are really cool. It's not like you need to have big poofs up in the sky, for heaven's sakes. I'm constantly surprised there aren't more horrible accidents, considering that most folks are drunk when they set them off.
Anyway, the back and side gardens look nice with all the turned and levelled dirt. The dark brown contrasts nicely with the green grass. I can't wait to get the veggies in. Only a couple months until I can have fresh tomatoes!


29 Comments:
I didn't read your post yet... I just came to ask you...
ARE YOU READY FOR TAR??? *huge grin*
Woo! TAR!!
I'll have to come to your place for the fireworks. We have a fire ban in effect, so no fire pit or fireworks this year.
Cheers to Queen Victoria!
I planted 48 hot pepper plants last night:
hungarian yellow wax
cayenne
early jalepeno
late jalepeno
anehiem
...and probably some others I forgot.
I loved the 24th of May fireworks when I was kid!
The 4th of July is a poor day for fireworks because it takes so long for full dark. Victoria day is more sensible.
I love Spirea! The giant, white van Houti (also called Bridal's Wreath) is so pretty in bloom and has a strong sweet scent. The dwarf varieties (that I am familiar with anyway) are not as sweetly scented but still very nice. I think their leaves are far more attractive than forsythia leaves
My dwarf golden spirea has fairly dark magenta flowers, and it maintains the "fresh" gold leaves all summer long. I love it! It also wants to spread like crazy. Wherever a branch arches down and touches the ground it will root and create a new little bush if you let it - kind of like spider plants do.
I love fireworks! Can I come over? :)
*points bottle rocket at jen* RUN!
Anyone wishing to see "A shower of sparks reaching up to 4 feet" is invited to come on over on Sunday night. Free sparklers for everyone!
Swami: thanks for the info! I'm putting the golden one in a place that I can never keep weeded.
weltek: just sweet banana peppers for us this year. DD is really enthusiastic about putting in the carrot seeds. I've never managed to grow enough for a meal, but the kids dig them up and wash them with the hose for a snack. We used to do the same when we were kids.
Oh, and I discovered some dental floss in the downstairs bathroom this morning. I feel stupid.
Fireworks are the best thing ever!
I'm not sure if ya'll are gardening nerds, or if *I'm* the non-gardening nerd. ;-)
2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate? Queen Victoria! I like how the Canadians have their little cottages. The word "cottage" reminds me of fairy tales.
Bob: I'm afraid we don't get the blow-y uppy ones.
MM: We are gardening nerds, I guess. Personally, I don't mind. I hope to actually get good at it one of these years. :-)
Puffy: So what do Americans call their summer house? I didn't realise it was just us.
Yay! we're all meeting @ Seana's Sunday night!
*sits with MM as a non-gardner*
Oooh, homegrown carrots are yummy. I really don't like raw carrots that much, but they taste darn good fresh out of the garden.
Seana, cottages are called cabins down here. We go 'up to the cabin' because all cabins are north of wherever in the lower 48 you are. Cottages are where wicked witches eat you.
I like cottage cheese.
Exactly. Innocent children are ground up, soaked in lye and turned into cottage cheese.
Here in California, we can barely afford our "winter home." We don't have "summer homes." Although, my home is within an hour of the beach, the desert, the mountains, the snow, lakes and rivers, etc. So I don't need a summer home. Actually I do know a few people who have second homes and they call them their other home or cabin or condo.
"Vacation Home" is another term we use.
You? Are my Fairy Idol!
Oh what Puffy said! We can barely afford our regular home here! But we are about 3 miles from the LI Sound and about 15 minutes from the ocean. My MIL has a home up in Lake George(upstate NY) and we just say "up to Lake George" cause it is a house and not a cabin or cottage.
Do all Canadians get cottages?
Ponies. All Canadian children get ponies.
LOL We don't have a cottage either. My grandparents had one, but when they decided they couldn't keep it up anymore, no-one wanted it. I was 12 at the time and couldn't understand why nobody would want a free cottage. I still think it would have been great. Mind you, it would have needed a LOT of work.
My kids are driving me nuts. Anybody want them?
Sometimes we have pony rides at the MALL.
Beautiful Flowers!
We have those too Puffy but they cost 50 cents and the paint is chipped on it.
Hey, I missed out! I never had a pony nor any cottage/cabin *pout*
*hands Nookie some toilet paper*
*hoards the toilet paper*
Post a Comment
<< Home