Monday, June 05, 2006

Dress Rehearsal

Tonight was the dress rehearsal for DD's ballet recital. Last year, they tried something new and had a theme of "Sea Cruise", so there were mermaids and fish and sea urchins. It was a great success, so they tried a new theme this year: "Home on the Range". Obviously, there were all kinds of cowboy hat/boots/chaps, but there were also chickens and ducks and cows. The jazzy version of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" was so cute. We missed the little sunflower girls.

DD's class are milkmaids and they are dancing to "Country Garden". They look really cute. DS had a great time. He always does. The first show we went to, he was not quite 2. He watched the little girls classes (ages 3-4) and clapped and just loved it. This time, I gave him my camera phone to take pictures. He's a very good picture-taker, and when he's concentrating on getting the shot he wants, he doesn't run around getting into trouble. He's very enthusiastic about taking pictures, so we'll encourage that, though not too much right now. He's 3, after all. Heavily supervised use of camera phone = OK, allowing him to use the video camera whenever he wants = asking for a broken video camera.

I really like the dress rehearsal. It feels a bit homier than the show. The dress rehearsal, people are up and down the aisles of the auditorium, chatting and taking pictures/video (no cameras allowed at the show). Little brothers and sisters all over the place. We're all in it together: dad can't put his DD's hair in a bun but mom's working late, so another mom will help; people offer hair gel or bobbypins or watch each other's stuff so they can go to the bathroom. I like the whole cooperative atmosphere.

I get all sentimental, too. I don't know what it is about all the little girls doing their very best that makes me all teary-eyed. Not even just my kid, all of them - they worked so hard all year and here they are.

I really like our studio, too. I know it's not the most prestigious place, but it's comfortable and fun. They have sleepover parties and tea parties and in December they offer to take the kids for a couple hours (and a few dollars) so you can go shopping. If you want your daughter to be dancing Clara in the next Nutcracker, go somewhere else, but if you want her to have a good time while learning the basics of her chosen dance style, then this is the place.

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:46:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

*sigh* I miss those days when I was a young 'un and having dance recitals. I am also reminded of being in plays. It was so much fun to have all that hub-bub.

I tried Nutzgirl out in ballet when she was 3. Took her to my old dance teacher, she used to be a Rockette in NYC. Nutzgirl wasn't into it at all so we decided to take her out. She did do gymnastics for a few years and loved that.

I always got teary-eyed during performances too when she would have her gymnastics show or when she was in the school choir and stuff.

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:38:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I always wanted to be in dance. My two sisters were & my mom didn't want to handle the time hassle & money of enrolling me. *pout*

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

I love all kid performances!

They treasure those memories too. Take lots of pics!

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

*Sigh* Such memories.
Good times. My kids and *I* were *all* in dance classes. I was in the adult tap class, taught by a former Rockette. I love the dance costumes and they make good Halloween costumes, too.

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

Awww...I cry at all the shows my daughter's preshcool has put on during the year. I can't help it. I feel like a fool too cause it does not seem like anyone else is.

They all are so cute.
*smooch*

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 1:13:00 PM, Blogger Surveysez said...

I have pics of little hula girls and kitty tap dancers and all sorts of costumed kids. The recitals were so special.

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds very cute, Seana. I have no fond memories of school plays myself, I was always too scared of being in front of a crowd of people!

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:05:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Hello, all!

Yeah, the memories. *sniff*

I went to a private grade school and we put on 2 shows a year. There was the year-end show where each class put on a skit or sang or something and the big Christmas musica;. EVERYone was in it. Either you were in the choir, or you had a part. OH MY GAWD! I was a sheep one year. LOL I'd completely forgotten that. I may have to admit it to HD...

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:51:00 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

A sheep? *giggle*

I never took dance lessons nor was I ever in a play. *pout*

*smiles* at all the teary-eyed mommas. You're all so cute :-)

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:57:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

A sheep! *snort*

My neice Sara, just told me that she quit taking Highland Dancing lessons. I was disappointed because she was getting pretty good at it.

It's been a long time since I had a little around to get teary eyed over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home