Thursday, January 12, 2006

Choices

Last night I went to the grocery store to pick up a couple things so I could make pizza for dinner, as I'd promised. It's good to have crusts and cheese when you promise that - just a little tip for you.

Anyway, at the checkout, there were two guys with a few items ahead of me. I forget what all was there, but the one who was paying didn't have enough in his account to cover the $5.00 worth of stuff they wanted to get. He called the other guy over from where he was staring at the empty boxes (this is a no extras type store, so you have to either bring bags, buy them there or use the cardboard boxes provided). Guy Who Was Paying was fingering a cheap plastic dollar-store foozball game, likely a $1.00 item, but the other guy came over and decided they would put back the potato chips ($0.97).

So, here's what I'm thinking: you have less then $5 to your name. You need to eat in order to live. Why would you choose a cheap toy over food, even crappy food? Which is another question isn't it? If you have less than $5 to your name, wouldn't you buy 10 pounds of potatoes - which will last longer and can be prepared in a variety of ways and which will fill the tummy - instead of a small bag of chips which wouldn't even make a proper snack for two grown men?

OK, I've seen a lot of this around here.

1. The people I used to babysit for had filed for bankrupcy a few months earlier. They had to depend on his parents to get the kids' new winter coats. They have satellite TV. It's more expensive that basic cable.

2. DD was once invited to a birthday party where there were 3 birthday kids. They all shared a bedroom, with only mattresses on the floor. There were a couple toys. There were 3 adults living in the house. They all smoked a pack a day. $7 per pack times 3 people times 7 days = $147 per week, $588.00 per month. Each kid could have a proper bed in 3 months, if they go to Ikea. They were all on disability too.

Now, before you think I'm going all DonnaLynn on you, let me explain. I don't think lower income types are sitting around collecting money and subsidies because they're lazy. I'm more inclined to think it'a a "Shocked Rat" thing. I refuse to be the shocked rat, myself, but I have the feeling that these are people who have been beaten down so far so often that they don't feel they can ever get up. I can't not fight, but that's in my blood (let me tell you about my family sometime). Born into a different family, where would I be?

I had parents who loved me and who cared. Many of these people didn't. Example: the mother of kids I babysat had a very lonely childhood. She says she wants better for her kids. Her kids get love, which is better than some around here. But still, maybe the XBox was a bit expensive. They might have used the money for something boring and practical. Like dental work. Just trust me - it's not a cosmetic issue, either.

I stayed in one school district for the whole time I was in school. Many of these people moved around. That interferes with learning. DH moved around a lot, too. He still doesn't read very much or (according to him) very well, which is another reason I appreciate him reading to DS. Despite that, DH had a supportive family. Without that, where would he be?

Someone complained the other day that the middle class gets nothing. You have to be rich or poor to get anything. I live here with all the poor people and I'm here to tell you that that is a ridiculous assertation. Even the poor people can't get stuff. Our inner-city school was due to be re-built, but that's been put off and put off again. Why? Because no-one cares about this area, not even the people who live here.

I'm ranting, aren't I?

OK, the point is some people here have given up trying to have a better life. They don't even bother to think long-term, because what's the point of having plans if something's just going to come along and screw it all up? So grab what you can while you can - satellite TV, a video game system, chips. They're too stupid for training anyway, right? And where would they get a job if they did get training, right? Everyone always told them they'd never amount to anything. And look - they were right.

11 Comments:

At Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:55:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Such a terribly sad situation. I bet you're right about them being told they'd never amount to anything. ...and all they can do is accept their fate.

I suppose the people that do make a chnage for themselves and the next generation of their families are the type who are self-motivated or rebel against those who try to keep them down. *sigh*

Hmmm... where had DL been anyway?

You? are a wonderful soul. *smooch*

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:47:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

A lot of interesting observations. I'm not sure I ever thought about some of these things before the same way you just put it.
Because I will admit that it bothers me when I see someone getting that pack of smokes or watching that cable when they are suffering elsewhere financially. Maybe next time I'll remember that just maybe they want to experience a little luxory somewhere in their lives.

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:21:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

On the other hand, we often see immigrants who work 20 hours a day, 10 extended family members living in one apartment, all working to support the business they OWN, working hard to make a good life for themselves and their children, thinking about how things will get better in the future if they work hard now.

Was that all one sentence?

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Thanks for your thoughts, all.

I can't say I'm thrilled to watch people waste their time and money when they could be doing something more constructive.

And. There are absolutely bonbon-eating welfare queens. I know there are. But I can also give accounts of 2 women - single mothers - who worked their butts off to get off welfare, too.

What I call "the shocked rat" is a reference to Learned Helplessness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Obviously, there is a range of possible responses to any set of circumstances, and this doesn't explain everyone.

Different people manage things differently. Understanding the why of it (and I have a deep-seated need to understand the why of nearly everything) can maybe be a starting place for making changes.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 8:20:00 AM, Blogger volsfan said...

You say, "I can't say I'm thrilled to watch people waste their time and money when they could be doing something more constructive."

Maybe the toy was for a child and the adults gave up the potato chips for kid to have a toy. Maybe?

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 8:41:00 AM, Blogger Syren said...

Just want to add my thoughts.

I went from making a middle class living to nothing in a matter of 24 hours, because my company closed overnight. Currently, I am so below the poverty line that I do not even count anymore.

We do have DirectTv and I do have DSL internet. Those are my two luxuries. There isn't anything else. I cannot go to the store and purchase anything without some forthought into it. We live on my grants that I recieve for going to school because I am what is called a displaced worker.
However, that being said, my child comes first always. He has no idea that we are considered poor, due to some very creative thinking on my part.
But at the womens shelter that I used to volunteer at, I saw the helplessness that you are referring too. It is a reality. There are people out there who only see the enviroment that they grew up in or live in, and do not see a way out.

Okay, sorry for jacking your comments section and ranting a little.

*smooches*

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

There is a difference between you and (some of) them, syren. You are an incredibly strong women who is not willing to let your situation keep you down forever. You are doing things to make a difference in your own life and Ryan's. You strive for something better.

It is this self-motivation that I was referring to. There are many people out there who don't have it.

I applaud you! You are an inspiration.

*smooch*

{/end syren love}

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

vols: what a nice thought! I really doubt it, but now I feel guilty that I didn't consider it.

syren: I recognise that it is none of my business what other people spend their money on. I truly hope you don't think I was being critical. I try very hard for understanding. But sometimes I get carried away.

The trouble with going on a tangent is that you might say something offensive.

I'm feeling less upset now. Sometimes the city just really gets to me. And the idea that we're all over here sponging because we're lazy.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I think you did a great thing by putting yourself out there, Seana & being receptive to everyone's stories/thoughts. And I share your same views for the most part.

I used to have the narrow view of "everyone can escape poverty, so I won't feel sorry for them if they don't." I think a lot of young people feel that way. Once you've actually hit financial rock bottom or lived out in the real world, it's hard to see the reality, isn't it?

I truly believe the mentors in your life make a difference. Those that dragged themselves from poverty probably had a person that influenced them...be a family member, volunteer, friend, or what not. Those that stayed probably had strong influence from a lot of people in the other direction. You tend to stick with what you know. You have to be incredibly
strong to go the opposite direction.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 1:49:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

*eats cherry filled Hershey kiss*

*thinks about abs*

*eats another kiss*

 
At Monday, April 23, 2007 11:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home