Two Shifts So Far
That's all I've worked, and for the same caterer at the Art Gallery. It's kind of nice to tell people I work at the Art Gallery. I feel all ritzy and such. I must say the first shift was a baptism by fire. I don't think I've ever had a first shift that wasn't. I was early, luckily and started right away. The owner/chef had asked two companies to send a total of 10 servers. We had 5. Then 2 of them said that their company had told them only to stay until 10:00. Except that's an hour before the buffet was to go out and we hadn't been able to get out on the floor since quarter after nine because of the speeches. They were convinced to stay until 10:30. They said they had cleared the tables, but they had only cleared their own tables, so since I had been asked to do something else during that half hour, I ended up doing my own tables and those of the two other servers, one who also left early The other, who has a fair bit of seniority, was in charge of getting out the 11:00 buffet. I was there until 2:45. Holy crap.
Lessons learned: People are selfish. Be fast, fast, fast. Don't assume help will come just because you would give it yourself. Get gel insoles for shoes. Don't tell your husband a time when you should be done or he will sit in the parking lot with the kids from midnight to 1 am and then blame you because he didn't leave earlier. People love Scottish eggs. People don't like gaspacho. If there's nothing to do, it might not be wise to look for something to do. Maybe you're supposed to be standing there waiting.
Second shift: much smoother. Discovered a to-do list. Did stuff. Got brownie points. Of 6 servers, 4 were quick and efficient. Remembered where stuff was. Learned: the chef yells at you if she thinks you can take it. I look forward to being yelled at. Gel insoles were a good idea.
Could have worked tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday, but I have no-one to watch the kids tonight/Thursday and Saturday is the Monster Trucks. Think of me this Saturday, Saturday, Saturday!!!! Hopefully, I will figure out how to post ensmallened pics by then.


2 Comments:
Dang that's a long night. But it sounds like you did good.
I don't even know what Scottish eggs are.
I thinks it great you can work when you want and can go to Monster Trucks when you want *grin
Holy Carp! I felt like I'd just watched about 4 different Food Network/HGTV shows all rolled into one post.
But it sounds like you are truly enjoying yourself.
Brownie points are always good.
Post a Comment
<< Home