Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Vitamins and a Tip

I am feeling curious.

Vitamin Questionnaire

1. Do you take vitamins?

2. If so, do you take just certain things, a multivitamin, a targetted multivitamin (eg: for women, for weight loss, etc.) or a multivitamin and a bunch of other stuff?

3. Do you use other kinds of supplements?

My Answers

1. Yes

2. I take iron and vitamin C individually. I used to take a women's multivitamin, but it made me feel sick, even if I took it with food, so just those two now. Vitamin C helps you digest iron, so you don't feel like barfing it back up again. I imagine taking an extra C would make the multivitamin stay down too, come to think on it.

3. I take Tums for the calcium. Three reasons for this:
  • My mother has osteoperosis and was bugging us girls to prevent ourselves from getting it.
  • When you give platelets, the process uses up some of the calcium in your body.
  • I don't get enough calcium in my regular diet.

Tip

Do not ever try to save time by taking your chewable vitamin C at the same time as your chewable Tums. The resultant foamy grossness will haunt you.

18 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Schnookie said...

Funny. I was just discussing this very topic with a friend yesterday.

I take a One-A-Day for Women vitamin once a day. I do know I probably need to take individual vitamins (like Vit. C and Calcium) but haven't done anything about it yet. My mom takes Tums for the calcium.

I also take Glucosamine & Chondroitin once a day to aleviate my arthitis pain.

I don't like chewable vitamins/supplements. I'd rather just swallow the whole thing and be done with it.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Not on a regular basis. I get on kicks and then fall off the wagon.

Usually a targeted multivitamin for weight loss

I take cranberry pills whenever I think I'm getting a bladder infection. Usually staves it off.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 12:55:00 PM, Blogger mm said...

I just started taking Iron pills, for anemia. I would never take chewable pills. *gag*

But I did laugh at the image of *you* gagging on the chewables combo! LOL!

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Schnookie: I took glucosamine for a while because I have really awful knees: they crackle like Rice Krispies. But then my hair started falling out. Now that I've been off them for a while, my hair is staying in, but my knees hurt again. *sigh* It's a more difficult choice than I would have thought 10 years ago: bald or easily mobile?

weltek: I've never heard of cranberry pills. Do the weight-loss vitamins seem to work or is it one of those things that "should work in theory"?

MM: I'm prone to anemia too. My doctor put me on Slow-Fe. Thanks for laughing. :-)

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:36:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

The cranberry pills are great. Much more concentrated than cranberry juice and less calories.

I don't particularly think the weight loss multivitamins work...I could frankly just take a plain multi-vitamin & probably feel the same.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 2:09:00 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

*checks hair in mirror*

Ack! If I started loosing my hair, I'd probably go off the pills also.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

*checks hair in mirror*
Sheesh. I never heard of that!

Yes. I take a number of vitamins. This is a copy of my GNC list:

--GNC Calcimate Plus 800, 240 tablets
--GNC CoQ-10, 50 mg, 120 softgel capsules
--GNC Glucosamine/Chondroitin, 750mg/600 mg, 120 tablets
--GNC Melatonin 1, cherry flavor, 1 mg, 120 sublingual tablets
--GNC Saw Palmetto, 160 mg, 100 softgel capsules
--GNC Taurine 500mg, 50 tablets
--GNC Women’s Ultra Mega w/o Iron, 90 tabs
--GNC Vitamin C 1000 with rose hips, 250 tablets
--GNC Vitamin E 400, di-alpha form, 180 softgel capsules
--NOW Full Spectrum Minerals, High Potency, 100 tablets
--NOW Omega 3-6-9 Hexane Free, 1000 mg, 250 softgels
--NOW Super Odorless Garlic with Hawthorne & Cayenne, 90 capsules

I take the appropriate doses of all these.

The Saw Palmetto is all for Tom, and obviously the Women's Ultra Mega is all for me. (Tom has his own Mega Vitamin, but not from GNC.)

We spend about $2 a day on vitamins. And? I rarely if ever get sick. I haven't had a cold in years. That's why I was so unprepared for my headache earlier this week - I almost never get sick!

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:26:00 PM, Blogger arkie said...

No, I don't take any kind of vitamins or other supplements.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:23:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

I take the following every day along with my prescription meds.

1-Vitamin C 1000mg with rose hips
1-L-Lysine 500mg
2-Acidophilus with bifidus & FOS 6 billion active cells

The vitamin C speaks for itself. The Lysine helps ward off cold sores and is an immune system booster. The acidophilus is also an immune system booster and is good for internal balance (without going in to too much detail). Like Swami, I rarely get sick. *knocks on wood*

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:24:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

Oops. One more...

1-Multi-vitamin with Lutein

None of which are chewable. *gags*

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:53:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

lights! How nice to see you! Thank-you for explaining what that stuff is for. Except for the vita-C, I didn't recognise any of them.

Holy crap, Swami. That's a lot of vitamins. My sister and her BF swear by their regimen of several vitamins a day, too.

*waves to arkie*

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:36:00 AM, Blogger Swami said...

*opens 2-liter pepsi in blog*
*drops in a Mentos*
*runs*

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Do you take vitamins?

When I can remember.

2. If so, do you take just certain things, a multivitamin, a targetted multivitamin (eg: for women, for weight loss, etc.) or a multivitamin and a bunch of other stuff?

I take One A Day Women's Formula. I was taking the Weight Control, but, yeah, well, forget it.


3. Do you use other kinds of supplements?

I was taking some B12 because I thought it would help with the gray hairs, but I haven't really taken it lately. I took some Airborne the last two nights because I spent most of Monday with some guy that was sneezing and coughing, etc. and I didn't want to get sick.

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I don't take any vitamins. I really, really should. And I think I even have a bottle of multivitamins, but I never remember to take it.

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:26:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

Seana, "My grandmother died the same year as MTW and every now and then I still feel like I should go visit her..."

MTW died? Was it a lack of vitamins?

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:28:00 PM, Blogger Surveysez said...

Foamy grossness is a great description.

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:47:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

I would die without Tums. I take many a day. *sigh*

 
At Friday, October 06, 2006 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Boo: I have never heard of B12 helping with grey hair. I could sure use something to help with mine. I have a cousin who takes B12 shots.

Jen: That's a problem I have, too. Every time I complain about being tired, DH asks if I've been taking my iron regularly. *guilty look*

Swami: LOL

Survey: Thank-you.

Bravie: Have you tried Zantac?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home