Wednesday, July 26, 2006

More News


We took a cake to Dad's place for DS's birthday this weekend past. DS had wanted a Scooby-Doo cake, so that's what I made him. It took me 3 hours to do.

It should have looked like this picture, but it didn't. It was pretty close, though. I'll post a pic whenever I get the film developed. You know why it took so long? There are 10 different icing colours. You need to use 2 different tips. I only have one of each, so I was constantly having to wash the tip to use with a new colour.

Anyway, so Saturday at Dad's was nice. As is their custom, Dad and his DGF had gone to a place that makes custom goodie bags. You tell them the age and gender of the kids, they put together a package. They always get cool stuff. They each got a kite and a strange stretchy glob thing that could be bounced like a ball. DS got some sidewalk chalk and DD got a badminton set.

We learned that Dad's cancer is isolated to one spot. He'll be getting a "tattoo" so that they can focus the radiation in the right place every time. He will receive 36 not-exactly consecutive chemo treatments. Monday to Friday, with weekends off. He will have to go to one hospital for that and another hospital for the radiation. Apparently, there is some kind of shuttle service he can take advatage of, so that he can feel a bit more in control rather than having to rely on friends and family to drive him. He would hate that.

So that was actually the positive news. The bad news this time around is that my sister and her husband have decided to call it quits after not even 3 years of marriage. I never saw that coming. I wonder if they've thought that through. DH works with BIL and he says BIL is avoiding him now, since the weekend. They work in different areas and on different shifts, but they do run into each other.

I'm not a very supportive person. I like people to leave me the hell alone when shit happens to me, so that's what I tend to do for other people. I'm sure that not talking to Dad is the best. I will occasionally show up and mow their grass or something. He's just like me. For Sister, I'm not sure. What would a supportive sister do? Tell me. I have no idea.

15 Comments:

At Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:03:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

Sending good vibes to your dad, Seana! {{hugs}}

Sorry to hear about your sister and BIL. So sad that marriages seem to get shorter and shorter, rarely lasting. :( As for supporting her, maybe just say "hey, whatever you need, I'm here" and leave it at that?

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Surveysez said...

As far as I know, a supportive sister listens. But I don't really know, cause I'm not very supportive.

Hope your Dad's treatment helps.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:23:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

MM took the words right out of my mouth! No, really!

FYI: you are my favorite today! *falutes*

*grin*

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

I was quite supportive of my sister for her first divorce. Listened to her tell her story in detail, which was very important to her. Nodded in all the right places, told her I thought she had made a good choice.

When she was on her 4th divorce I just said "Good. I never liked the bastard anyway." Less supportive, maybe - but entirely honest, lol.

I hope your dad has a successful outcome for his targeted treatments. The very word "spot" gives hope, doesn't it?

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

MM: Thanks! I had to email her earlier and I asked her if she needed help looking at apartments.

Survey: Thank, I hope it helps too. *fingers crossed*

*falutes* Nutz

Swami: Just FYI, this is the sensible sister, so that's why I'm a bit confused. The flighty, New-Agey/Gothy sister is with the same guy after, what? 4 years now. That's a record for her.

"Spot" is hopeful, yes.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:48:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Um, was there any leftover cake?

You are so ambitious! I made a Wilton unicorn cake for my niece once, but that was only pink, yellow, white & black. Whew.

Glad your dad's cancer is isolated. Should have a much better chance of getting it taken care of.

Sad news about your sister. Sometimes I think people are wise to recognize the problem early if it's that bad. Did they try marriage counseling or anything? I think being supportive is just continuing to make frequent phone calls & emails to see how things are going. If you keep the lines of communication wide open, she's feel better & be more likely to lean on you if she needs it.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:10:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Sisters? Hmph. Don't talk to me about sisters.

My dad had a tattoo where the radiation was supposed to go, too. We joked about his first tattoo.

Good thoughts for you and your dad.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

weltek: Hmm..it doesn't really come across in my post, now that I look at it again, but I'm feeling stupid that I took on a project that was too big for me. Or, at least, bigger than I wanted. *smacks self*

It was a mix cake that called for 3 egg whites, so I made butterscotch pie with the yolks.

Cake and pie for everyone!

Puffy: Thanks for the good thoughts. We were joking with Dad about the tattoo too.

Sorry that your sister(s) is/are rotten. Did you blog about it? I'll go check now.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:31:00 PM, Blogger arkie said...

*hugs*
I really don't have any advice, because I have no idea what to say or do in situations like this, so I usually distance myself. Real supportive, huh?

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I don't know how useful I've been through breakups. I care that people hurt, but I haven't been there.

Maybe it's best to get out early, but I would wonder not the divorce was early, but maybe the marriage was.

Listening is good. Visiting too. People's social networks fall apart when they get divorced, so picking up a little social slack is nice.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:32:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

My sistahs are very supportive. They support me by letting me come to them when I need them. And they know me well enough to know when I just want to be left alone.

Will you make me a Scooy Doo cake? I have extra tips that you can use.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 10:09:00 AM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Your nipple cones can't be used as frosting tips, carey. The tassles would get in the way.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 4:59:00 PM, Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I don't know what to say about your sister. I'm not very good at that sort of thing...

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 6:43:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Damn. Kim took all the fun out of that. *sticks out tongue at Kim*

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:05:00 PM, Blogger mysticwolf said...

Great cake. Sorry to hear about your dad, but glad there's an up-side. Your sister? Listen. Just listen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home