Saturday, October 01, 2005

Not the Shocked Rat

I have been a bit upset with DH lately. I wasn't even really sure why. Then, last Sunday, he didn't get up with DS in the morning, so I had to, even though had let him sleep in on Saturday, and I spent the day stewing about it. Really.

There were about a half dozen other tiny things that were just getting under my skin and I was trying to keep it all to myself because who am I to complain? I'm a stay-at-home mom now. I don't have to deal with the nasty world outside.


I was so proud of myself for not saying anything all day until I wanted to take a shower (our shower is in the basement) and I went downstairs and did some tidying first. DH came down and asked if I wanted help and I said that I'd done as much as I was going to. Then he walked past me and into the bathroom to take his shower.


I burst into tears and ran upstairs sobbing. He came up to find out what he'd done wrong now and I yelled at him that some days I just bloody want it to be ME first. Poor bastard. Next day I felt pretty sheepish. When he got home from work, I said something about he didn't have to be afraid of me, I was all done my big hissy...working my way up to a proper apology. It's the method that was wrong, you see. The sentiment was true, but there are better ways of dealing with these things. I'm a grown-up after all.

A little bit later, he apologised to me and said he would help out more and give me a break sometimes. I apologised for being a shrieking harridan.

I'm all better now. I don't even think he's actually had to do any more than he ever does. I still handle everything, but I don't *have* to.

Which leads me to some experiments we studied in Psychology in first year.

Experiment #1

Two (or more) groups are asked to do a worksheet with difficult questions on them. The sort of thing that requires concentration. Subjects are sent into a room by themselves to complete the questions. Noise is piped into the room - barking dogs, loud music, whatever. It is annoying and distracting and they need to pay attention to what they're doing.

Subjects in Group A are just told to complete the work with the noise.

Subjects in Group B are told to complete the work, but if the noise is too much for them, they can press a button and it will stop.

There may have been another group in a quiet room, but I can't remember.

So...subjects from Group A mostly did not complete the work in the time allotted. They were distracted and annoyed and couldn't concentrate.

Subjects from Group B not only mostly completed the work, but mostly didn't push the button.

Researchers concluded that when people think they are not stuck in a crappy situation with no way out, they are more likely to be productive, even under difficult circumstances.

*****

Experiment #2

A poor little rat is in a wire cage, which is hooked up to electrodes. The cage is electrified, shocking the rat. The rat does everything it can to escape, scrabbling here and there, jumping, gnawing at the wire. It also goes through all the fear responses of shaking and defecating, etc. The shocking continues, and it is made clear to the rat that there is nothing it can do about it.

Eventually, the rat just sits there. It does not try to escape. It does not squeak. It just sits there, wherever the researcher put it. If the cage door is opened, the rat still just sits there, getting shocked. It has given up.

This phenomenon is known as "Learned Helplessness".

*****

It's All About Me

The tale of me and my husband perfectly shows a real-life example of Experiment #1.


Whenever I see people living in situations that I would personally consider unbearable, I wonder if they are the shocked rat.

Sometimes when I feel like giving up, I think to myself "I am not the shocked rat."

11 Comments:

At Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Rose said...

This totally relates to how I've been feeling lately.

There is no way out of the list of shat to do, so I end up doing nothing, and then getting depressed about doing nothing...

Then I get a shot of energy and do a bunch.

Then it's back to feeling like I'm in a quagmire of work I'll never get out of.

Anyhow, back to the never ending laundary pile...

 
At Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

In fact, I had started writing all this as a comment in your blog, but it was waaaaaay too long. I have a tendency to do this weird free-association thing where I end up a fair distance from where I began.

Are you a 'list' person? I like to write up lists with the smallest possible unit of work on them. For example, I don't write "clean living room", I write
" - pick up toys
- sweep floor
- dust TV" and whatever else
Then I've done the same amount of work as "clean living room", but got to check off 3 things. It makes me feel more productive, and little things are easier to tackle. As a bonus, I don't feel like a complete failure when I don't do the whole living room.

I'm a big freak.

Anyway. *hugs* to you. I understand completely. I would absolutely mop floors for you if I could.

 
At Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:13:00 PM, Blogger Rose said...

LISTS!!!!

I just wrote mine, and then I have lists for lists....

I've checked off Odin's haircut today. Must. fold. laundary.

ugh.

 
At Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:04:00 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Come see my new place....

It's sooooo cool.

(I have special effects!)

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

I need to get myself motivated to do things. Once I am motivated I do very well. It's just getting me motivated that seems to be the problem.

 
At Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:04:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

Oh how I feel your pain. I think this is a huge complaint of moms everywhere - whether stay at home or working outside the home. I get like this with DH from time to time, even though he does help out quite a bit. But you hit the nail on the head when you said sometimes I just want it to be ME first. As moms we do so much for everyone else, we tend to put ourselves at the end of the line - where there's no time, no money, no energy or whatever. And we never take care of ourselves until we're at a breaking point. And everyone we surround ourselves with doesn't notice because they are so used to being taken care of.

*smooch*

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Yeah! What Momma said.

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

You all are great. :-)

I'm going to update. Soon. Eventually.

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Zombs said...

You are speaking for all of us Seana!

I get guilty when I do get some me time too! DH has no problem with time to himself but I always feel like Worst.Mother.Ever.

I understand why you cried. We have all been there!

smooch!

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 4:56:00 PM, Blogger Breezy said...

*zapppppp*

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home