Advance Planning
DS wants to be a ghost for Hallowe'en. I have an old sheet that is mostly white, but also has vertical stripes like a rainbow across the outer edges. I just soaked it in bleach for 2 hours and I can hardly see a colour difference. Any suggestions about how to make the sheet all white? I still have time and options if this doesn't work. Thing is, he was a ghost 2 years ago, and I used the only white shirt I had. DH doesn't have anything I could use either. I have sisters and cousins and parents I could ask for stuff, but I'd like to exhaust the possibilities around here first.
DD wanted to be Bloom from Winx Club (that's the picture there), but then wanted to be Snow White instead. This may be because I bought a bunch of costume-y type clothes at the thrift store last year, with the thought that it might be nice to have a stock to work with. One of the articles was a Snow-White-looking dress. We could make a few alterations and voila! (I have to learn all the stupid accent codes. The Mac I had at work, accents were really simple alt+{key} commands. *sigh*)She also wants me to be the evil queen. She explained that I always want to be a witch and this way, we could match. I am somewhat mollified by this.
Hallowe'en is second only to Christmas for me. I think it's especially fun to make your own costume instead of buying it, though we did buy a Spiderman costume for DD 2 years ago. Everyone thought she was a boy, which was kind of fun for her. "I'm a girl!" Then we ran into one of her school friends - she was dressed as Batman.
So tell me about your plans, or past years that went well (or not).


9 Comments:
Wow you sound talented!
Can you cut the edges wehrer the color is on the sheet off? Or will that not leave enought sheet? Your daughter's costume sounds cute! You must show pictures after.
I am not big into Halloween until I had kids. This year costumes will definately have to be homemade. We can't afford otherwise. DD wants to be Stephanie from LazyTown on Nick Jr. Pink hair girl? So I will look for a pink dress that she can wear again, wig, tights and pocketbook. For the boy I don't know, maybe a pirate.
I must learn to sew.
We always made our own costumes, but last year, I was tempted into buying a Godzilla costume for Dominic. It was a. cute and b. a good deal. I still felt like a slacker, though, because I have many years of 4-H sewing behind me.
He hardly wore it last year (five minutes), so he's going to be Godzilla again. He'll never know. :D
Zombs: yeah, if I cut out the rainbow, there's hardly any white.
I know about Lazy Town. How cute that she wants to be Stephanie. I agree with you about Magnus. Cute, but lose the stupid moustache.
Coco: welcome! I also feel like a cheater when I don't make them myself. Will you be posting pics of Dominou-zilla?
I've always mad DD's costumes. This may be the first year I buy one, she wants to be Will from W.I.T.C.H.
Want a fun and easy costume to make? Half girl, half boy... *giggle* She was that two years ago. You take on old pair of jeans, cut off one leg to knee/short length. Sew material or an old skirt to the side with the leg cut. We used just a plain button up shirt and put lace and stuff on the girl side and rubbed the boy side in dirt. Since it gets cold here she had on a knit hat, we added lace and a flower to the girl side. Her girl side face was all painted up with makeup, the boy side I gave her a blackeye and dirt. *grin*
I just ordered a 4 option costume pattern from Butterick w/ a dragon on it.
I'm looking forward to sewing my first costume; that is if I can stop making those stupid prarie skirts for all my friends. I'm about sick of those damn things...
I think I'll be a princess and DH will be a knight- we will all go together!
sprout will reuse the cute little pumpkin bag-type infant costume from seedling's baby year....
OK, I looked it up and apparently, polyester is "colourfast" and you can't bleach the colour out of it.
So the sheet if probably made of polyester. I wonder if he'd like to be a zombie. I could cut up the sheet into strips and wrap them around him.
Breezy: that's a funny idea! Like the side shows in the old-time circusses with the half-man, half-woman. Or Two-Face from Batman 3: Not the Worst, but Still Pretty Sucky.
Rose: That's ambition. I made myself a cat costume one year using a body suit pattern. The #1 thing I learned is that I can't sew. :D Actually, it wasn't awful.
For DD, I once made a bumblebee costume out of felt, which worked out well because it didn't need to be hemmed - I hate hemming.
Last year, I wanted to dress up as a witch, and syrenboy wanted me to be a rocker girl (lol..his words), so I was a witch in a funky/sexy black thing with little moons and stars on it. I wore fishnets and had purple hair with silver streaks through it. Add the witch hat and broom and we had the rocker witch. It was so much fun dressing up with him.
Syrenboy has been a ninja every year since he was 3. When he picks out his costume that is always what he wants.
When I was a junior and senior in high school, me and some friends put together a haunted house...that was one of the most fun experiences of my life. Scaring people, especially ones that you do not like, was FUN.
I could never make our costumes though, but I am good with the face makeup.
Smooch
Still waiting for my prairie skirt, Rose. *taps foot*
Yeah me too! Where's my prarie skirt and zucchini bread?
Post a Comment
<< Home