What God has Joined Together?
This post just goes on and on. You can skip it and just say "Hi!"...or not. :D
***
So I'm reading this book, which was introduced to us in a thread some time ago. In this thread we also learned that gays were sinners and going to hell, but we should all be friends, and that America was founded by Christians for Christians and that we should go look it up. But I digress.
The two authors state that their purpose in writing this book is to show why they believe that "opening marriage to gay and lesbian people could strengthen the institution for all people".
They almost lost me for a while, because they keep using the phrase "gay marriage", which bugs me. Marriage is marriage. Should I say I'm "straight-married"? Will that make me any more married? Anyway, they quote that changed my mind is:
Actually, this book doesn't advocate a special type of marriage - "gay marriage"; it advocates strengthening marriage, and extending it as an option for another 3% of the population.
They also discuss their respective backgrounds. Both are Christian. One is a married man, the other a divorced woman. They don't say if they are gay or straight, and for some reason, this absence makes me wonder why they don't mention it. I think they're straight, which is good, considering their intended audience - conservative Christians who are antsy about marriage rights for gays, and, well, homo-sexuality in general.
This book starts pretty slowly, I think. Chapters 1 & 2 are devoted to making the case that people are social animals and that being excluded makes people sullen and anti-social. Get. out. Who knew? Again, their intended audience is not really me, who doesn't need to be convinced.
The Bible gets quoted a lot and also a lot of studies. I find their arguments well thought-out, but they really spoonfeed every single step of logic. I'm hoping it picks up the pace a bit, but then it might lose the intended peeps. But it makes me wonder if these arguments would work well on someone dead set against the whole idea.
I have recently discovered that a person to whom I am very close not only opposes marriage for gay couples, but actually opposes homosexuality altogether. (Too late now - it's a done deal up here.) She can't claim religious beliefs, because she goes to church for weddings and funerals and that's it. Homosexuality is just wrong, she says. How so? I ask. She tried to make a joke argument that gays take the good partners, so us straight folks can't have them. There is so much wrong with this, it's not even a fair game to shoot it down. And here's the thing: this person helped raise me. She helped teach me my value system. I'm convinced that if I could get her to open her eyes just for just a minute...
I've been right before in our littler disagreements. For example, she now acknowledges that sushi is good, and so is feta cheese on a Greek salad. I was right about exercising to cure owie knees and many other things. I see her every week. She's not that old. We're blood-related. I. don't. get it.
So maybe I'm reading this book with hopes of changing someone else's mind. That probably won't work. But I feel really off talking to her now. Blah. This was supposed to be a kind of book review-y thing, so that I could get past wondering about who the authors were talking to, and I made it all about me.
Well, this was really lengthy. Sorry.


9 Comments:
Suchi is awful in my opinion Seanna.
I reckon your " blood relative is used to disagreeing with you and loves the argument which follows! Im only joking!!
Great blog you have here. provided for a really confusing read actually . Lmao !! keep it up !
*struts around Seana's blog*
I was the one that started the thread on that book. *sigh* Sadly I haven't picked it up yet to read.
I need to do that.
I thought Breezy started that thread.
Unfortunately you can't change everybody's mind. My father was one of those that was against homosexuality and not for religious reasons. He is still against calling it marriage. He is okay with civil union but not calling it marriage. Anyhow, my point; my father was one of the biggest homophobes I had ever met and it wasn't until both of his kids came out that he had no choice but to open his mind. It took him a very long time and the threat of losing me in his life to turn him around. I'm not sure that he would have ever changed his mind if it weren't in his backyard. Sometimes we have to accept that the people that we love have differing opinions on things like this. And we have to respect their right to feel the way they do.
You want her to change her way of thinking. But remember, she probably wants you to change your way of thinking too. Maybe you can agree to disagree. If you can subtly say things that might make her think that is great. But don't turn your back on her just because she doesn't like homosexuals. If you can educate her (because bigotry is based on fear and ignorance) that is great. But if you can't, accept her for her differences. REmember, you have loved her all of your life. Don't stop just because of this.
*smooch*
Hi!
*smirk*
Look new people! Bienvenue!
con: So I guess that's just more sushi for me. :D Oh, and thanks for laughing at my big dilemma. :P
Breezy: I was pretty sure it was your thread, but I once accused you of starting a thread that SilverStar started, and I didn't want to do that again. :-)
Feel free to strut around.
Carey: Bless your sweet heart. I never intended to cut her out of my life. In fact, since it's Tuesday, she'll be over for Scrabble and tea, but not TAR just yet. You're right, of course, about her wanting to change my mind. I can see in her eyes (about this and another touchy subject) how she't thinking "Where did I go wrong?" lol
Glow: So you didn't read it? Can't say I blame you. *grin*
I thought I posted here earlier! Weird...what I said was, "Glowie stole my comment".
Why not get her a copy of the book. Tell her that you are reading it, and it has some very interesting things in it. That this is important to you, and that you would like to be able to talk to her about it.
I know that not every mind can be changed, but like Carey said, most of it is based on fear and ignorance. Not saying your friend is ignorant. Just that some people do not do well with change, even though that change has been around since the beginning of time.
So what I was saying was, get her the book, as a gift, as a way to open up communication about the subject. Sometimes that is all it takes.
*smooch*
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
syren!
Welcome! I didn't see your comment before. I'm a lousy host.
In fact, I had considered leaving it somewhere she could find it easily when she's over. *grin*
Maybe I'll post an update about the book later. It's getting better. I guess it's like a trial - you can't introduce evidence without laying a foundation or whatever. I used to watch Law and Order all the time. :-)
Right now, we're proving that homosexuals are homosexual, as opposed to being heterosexuals gone wrong.
RE relative: I'll post one day about how I told her I'm not a Christian. Oh, that was a disgusted silence, I tell you.
***
The deletion was me. This post is clearer than the one I deleted. I hope.
Post a Comment
<< Home