Book Reviews
I have recently read (for the first time):
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
I enjoyed them. The Harry Potter one better that the other, though. Ms. Rowling really does write nicely. I like an author who makes all the characters speak in their own way. There is an author named David Eddings, whose first series I loved, but whose books have since contained characters who all speak in the same way. There's no way to tell one from the other, just by speech patterns. This annoys me because every person is different and speaks in their own way. Not everyone says "old chap" all the time. Anyway, none of that in Harry Potter.
I like Ron. He's funny. He had the best lines in the book when they found the Devil Snare plant thing. Since the plant likes it cool and dark, they decided they needed a fire to repel it. Hermoine frets that there isn't anything to burn.
'ARE YOU A WITCH OR AREN'T YOU?'
Then after the plant is dealt with:
'Good thing Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis - "there's no wood" - honestly.'
Also, being a fan of Alan Rickman (loved him in Prince of Thieves and Die Hard), I like Snape. Sorry. I know what happens in the Half-Blood Prince, but I'm waiting for the twist.
As it happens, I own the DVD of Prizoner of Azkaban. I didn't really want it, but we bought it for someone else at Christmas one year and they already had it, so we kept it and got her something else. We watched it once and it was good enough, but I didn't care to watch it again. Maybe I needed to be in the right frame of mind.
My cousin is all set up that I've finally realised how good these books are. She says she's going to get me to watch Stargate next. But I have to watch the tail end of Stargate with her from time to time and I don't like it. I've been watching the last few "dramatic" moments of that show for years now and I just don't like it. She doesn't like Battlestar Galactica, so we're even. It's not like everyone has to like the same things, for heaven's sake.
*****
I had refused to read the Narnia stories, even as a child, because my church thought they were so Christian. I never liked stories with a lesson in them. So I have been avoiding CS Lewis for what? 20 years now? How silly of me. It's just a story. And an appropriate one for kids maybe age 9 or 10 and up. I expect I'd like the movie too. I'l wait until the DVD comes out.
Changed your mind about anything recently?


12 Comments:
I loved the Narnia series and picked up most of them a few years ago at the used bookstore. Re-read the first three. Just a fun read. I never got the message when I was younger. Now, I can see it.
I changed my mind about blogging. I thought it was vain & silly or for people as an alternate form of therapy. Now, I see I can just have fun with it & get to know people.
I haven't read the books you've mentioned (or anything even remotley related to them). I guess mystery/drama doesn't appeal to me because I am too jumpy.
The Narnia books are great. I bought the first three for Ryan and I to read together. Walmart has them, the whole original series, for like $3 a book.
I loved the Narnia series. I have read it an embarrasing number of times.
I've changed my mind about Monsty and Iggy recently.
I need to go get the Narnia series. I haven't read it in years.
I thought Harry Potter was the Sorcerer's Stone? I haven't read any of them yet. Rotten1 has several, but they are still a bit above his reading level. Maybe I need to read them.
I've changed my mind a lot lately, but nothing of any consequence.
I never got into the Harry Potter craze and probably won't read the Narnia book series either.
I loved the first Stargate movie and was just telling DH that I don't know why I'm not into the tv series. I think it's because it's on when I'm watching something else or it's on a station that I forget to check. I used to be into the original Battlestar series but haven't gotten into the latest one.
I haven't changed my mind on anything lately.
Hi weltek, syren, Bob and MM!
My cousin just bought the whole Narnia series again. She lent the books to someone a couple years ago and well, you know. Anyway, she said that they were all now a bit more expensive than they were before the movie came out.
Momma: It said "Philosopher's Stone" on the front cover and that's what the book talked about. I seem to recall some kerfuffle when the book came out, but I don't understand why the change, because I didn't care then. :-)
Schnookie: yeah, I wasn't involved in the craze either and wouldn't have read these if my cousin hadn't been so insistent. Up until now, I've been getting the books at the library for her (she doesn't have a card), but not reading them myself. The one I read was really very good.
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books but I've seen a couple of the movies. I've enjoyed the movies but they're not something I get excited about. Different strokes I guess.
I've changed my mind about a lot of things lately. Mostly about personal situations with friends. At 45 I'm still learning how to deal with difficult situations without always being the one who ends up hurt.
Hmm.. Harry Potter.
I like the books a lot. The movies are okay (I haven't seen Goblet of Fire), but I think Prisoner of Azkaban is the best book and the worst movie. So far.
I haven't changed my mind about much, lately. I just need to sleep.
The Socerer's Stone was the american title because the publisher thought that The Philosopher's Stone (the original british title) was too difficult to understand.
That's a great story. Waiting for more. Hard+drive+recovery+software+demo Femdom fist masturbation female domination Basketball court construction enema bondage Levaquin anti slave in love sex Hockey pocky bulk email marketing internet marketing email internet http://www.timemanagementtraining1.info/Propecia-shampoo.html Bondage nymphos diazepam length effective Naked latin photos Homemade mastubation toys Lesbians strap on orgy Thumb galleries catagorized bondage ebony buy dream online pharmaceutical protonix
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Insurance of america agency Commercial boat insurance rates Pov cumshots Topamax and schizo affective disorder Fre paris hilton sex video Discount didrex prescription Spring sale on leather sofas G-class mercedes pictures Construction estimating plotter Disposable acuvue aa home insurance Instant long term care insurance quotes in britain Wellbutrin for depression sauna instruction
Post a Comment
<< Home