Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ah, Shit

Well, there you have it: a Conservative minority government. I guess it was the best that could be hoped for. DH and I were just watching Jack Layton give the NDP victory speech. They won 29 seats (as of this writing), which puts them pretty much up to almost pre-1992 levels.

Watching Harper's speech.

Oh, that's it. Mr. Harper says that a minority government means that Canadians have asked all the parties to work together to build consensus. Wait, didn't we do that before when we elected a Liberal minority? Oh, silly me, that meant "try repeatedly to bring down the government like a pack of ravening wolves".

I'm trying to accept this by thinking logically. The 1992 election that brought us a ridiculous Liberal majority broke everything and scared me and a lot of others, I imagine, but we survived. We'll make it through this too, I guess. But what will we be stuck with? Another GST?

17 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:06:00 AM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Sorry, I don't know anything about these guys. Just came here to *smooch* you!

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Sits with Nutzy and smooches you*

I have not forgotten about you, I am slowly catching up.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger volsfan said...

*smooch* boo and nutz

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:45:00 AM, Blogger momma said...

I'm confused. I'll just *smooch* you and sit here with Nutz and Boo.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:33:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Aren't the major elections in November? Where do you live, anyway?

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:45:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

LOL Puffy.

*smooch* to you all. I was kinda pissy writing that last night. Watching the NDP (left-wing) speech was good and then the Conservative leader (Bush lite) came on and pissed me off with his smug, smarmy smirk.

Blah. I'm not here much, except late at night. My son doesn't want me to play on the computer. He can make it very difficult for me to find a few minutes.

Anyway, hope to play soon.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

*liberally break dances through Seana's blog*

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:16:00 PM, Blogger momma said...

Crap. She even break dances to politics.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:20:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Watch me pull a Tonya Harding on Nookie.
*whack*

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 5:16:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

Hi Seana! *smooch*

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:43:00 PM, Blogger lights said...

Hey Seana! You're right. We'll get through this. Oops, guess I shouldn't have said you're right, huh? *giggle* How about you're correct?

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:02:00 PM, Blogger Coco said...

Hey, Seana!

Question from one NDP voter to another: Do you like Jack Layton?
Would you want the NDP in power?

I think they're a good opposition party, and I voted for them (fruitlessly, considering the bent of my riding), but I wouldn't want them in power.

Also, Layton makes me itch.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:03:00 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Sorry us USAer's don't know alot about this.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:05:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Aren't we the little socialist, now?

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:22:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

I have not been here much again. I suspect I won't be online much for the next little while.

Coco: Yes, I like Jack Layton. I'm not comfortable with how they have been playing footsie with the other parties, but I try to recognise that they are doing what they can to push the agenda they were elected to push.

No, I don't want them in power. In fact, that's how I console myself in these elections: I vote for the opposition, not the governing party.

We here in Ontario learned to our sorrow what happens when everyone uses their vote to protest by voting NDP. I was desperately hoping the pattern wouldn't repeat. When the Liberals were voted out in the 80's, Mulroney got a decided majority government. When his Conservatives got turfed in '92, the Liberals got a ridiculous majority. I was just hoping that these Conservatives wouldn't be given a stupid majority.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

To clarify, I meant the pattern for federal elections, not provincial.

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:20:00 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Now you know how I felt a couple months ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home