Sunday, January 29, 2006

Bruise on My Arm

I went to give platelets on Monday. I like that better than giving whole blood. Anyway, Canadian Blood Services has a new place. I thought I got off on the wrong exit. Luckily, it was right at the corner, or I'd have gotten back on the highway to go further down and backtrack, which is what I thought I had to do, since the road I wanted doesn't have an exit. Well, turns out it does, but the road is called something else. Who cares? Point is, that was big omen #1 that I should have just slept in.

All was well - I had my book and was wearing appropriate red clothing *grin*.

I sat in the chair and my RN put the needle in my arm and some blood spurted across the pillow under my arm. Good thing it didn't hit the library book. This was omen #2.

Shortly after the RN started adjusting things, I discovered that my arm felt weird, like I could feel every heartbeat. I said so, and she pulled the needle out a bit, since it was in too deep. Omen # 3.

A variety of tests are performed on your blood at the beginning. My white blood cell count was off by 1 (Omen #4). They had to call for permission from their doctor to use my blood. The doctor wasn't in and they had to leave a message. We waited for so long, they nearly had to take the needle out, because I was getting saline and they couldn't leave me there all day. (Omen #5)

Finally, permission came. I sat in the chair for an hour. Then I felt I needed to adjust my position. I did. 5 minutes later, I felt like someone had stabbed my arm with another needle. I said so. The RN removed the piece of gauze that hides the needle in the arm for the squeamish (like me) and discovered a large bump on my arm where blood was pooling from the nick the needle likely made when I moved.

They took the needle out and didn't put a fresh one in the other arm, because obviously, the gods were dead set against me donating platelets that day. I even have to wait the full 56 days before I can donate again, because they couldn't give me back the blood they'd already taken. At least the bag was 3/4 full, so they got something out of me. I'd have hated to have gone through all that for nothing.

The bruise is pretty ugly - very dark purple with big fat purple arms streaming out of it. It's getting better finally, after almost a week. It never hurt, though, except for that initial stabby pain.

18 Comments:

At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:07:00 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Eeek! I hate needles!

*shiver*

 
At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

Oh I thought we were gonna get a bar brawl story.

I am drinking port now!

Did you know they make strawberry filled hershey kisses now?

 
At Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

I hate needles too. [serious] However, I have very little money and not very much time. I truly feel that I need to do something to give back to my community. This doesn't require me to make any great sacrifices, but is still very useful and helpful.[/serious]

But yeah, needles = yuck. That's why I didn't have the epidural.

Never had port. Strawberry kisses you say. I have gotten old, I fear. I just can't eat things that are so sweet. That just means I'd have them for a long time. I bet we can't get them up here. Now I have to look.

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 2:37:00 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Co-Inky, dinky: I gave blood on Saturday. I think I'll write about it in my blog. Thanks for the idea!

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 3:03:00 AM, Blogger mm said...

*feeling faint*

*takes one of Zomb's strawberry filled hershey kisses*

Good for you, Seana.

*trying not to faint, still*

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 8:40:00 AM, Blogger Syren said...

Needles...ewww.

I don't pass out or anything, but the anxiety I feel makes me sweat. I get so hot and just icky feeling.

*sneaks a strawberry kiss*

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 8:46:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

THUD

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 9:06:00 AM, Blogger lights said...

Good for you Seana. I wish I could still donate. I'm A Neg and they often ask for my type.

I remember one regular blood donation where they tried both arms twice with three different nurses before they finally got the blood. My veins roll so sometimes they're a little tricky to pin down. I looked like a pin cushion by the time I got out of there. I had some pretty good bruising from that episode.

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

I apologise to all those who have just fallen over from the talk of needles. My bad.

Ow, lights! I bet that was a pain. I'm just as glad they didn't do the other arm. I was running out of time, since DH needed the car to go to work.

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 11:45:00 AM, Blogger momma said...

Owie owie OW!

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 1:48:00 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

Sorry about your bruise.

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 2:24:00 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

*poke poke* Does it still hurt?

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 2:37:00 PM, Blogger Zombs said...

Needles shmeedles it is all in everyone's head!

It does not even gross me out to get the spinal blocks before C-sections. Weird huh?

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 2:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have handled the mere mention of the needle, but my god woman, you killed even me.

DH and I both hate 'em. I can tolerate it, but he shakes and quivers at the mere mention of the word.

I gave blood once, and I almost passed out in the middle of it. I can't sit that long thinking about it or feeling it. When I was very sick back in '04, they had to take like 10 vials and that almost killed me too.

But you are a good person to do this. *smooch*

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 4:17:00 PM, Blogger amy karp | PHOTOGRAPHY said...

we having an all request hour - soundtrack to life @ my blog

c'mon - we need music!

ames

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 4:36:00 PM, Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I get nasty bruises too. I find if you hold down really hard on top of the needle prick for 2 minutes with the cotton, it looks a lot less like a bar fight.

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 5:00:00 PM, Blogger Monstah said...

The RN sounds like a hack. Did you get a post-snack at least? A little cracker or cookie?

Before things spiraled out of control during labor, the nurse came by to put an IV thing in my wrist. It kept hurting and I kept calling the nurse's station to have them come in and move it. After the third time, I made some lame joke about how if the IV is hurting me I am gonna be in for a world of hurt when the big contractions start. The nurse looked at me and said: "Believe me, we are already drawing straws to see who gets you for the final pushes." Wise ass, Nurses.

*smooch*

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 8:50:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Oh dear. So sorry, boohoo!

Just for everyone's info, I don't bruise. That's why this is a weird thing. I never get a bruise. Actually, I've never had a problem. It's pretty funny that all that could go wrong went wrong altogether.

Hi, ames! I'll drop by.

Monstah: I hated the IV in my wrist too. My water broke early in the morning with DS and they said I had to have antibiotics, so I couldn't have it out. *shudder* Pfft on your nurses. They're supposed to be all supportive and such.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home