Jobs and Work
DD's little friend's dad has found work. Now they need a babysitter. It might be me. DH is supportive of this, if I think I can handle it. He really didn't like the idea of me waitressing, but this suits him. I think he just wants me to be barefoot in the kitchen.
No, no. He was worried about potential conflicts with the car, of which we only have one, if I were working. He has a point, of course. We wouldn't be able to handle changes very well. This would bring in money, without the conflict. The difficulties would arise in things like DD's swimming class at 4:30 one day and ballet at 5:30 on another. I couldn't take them all to ballet. Swimming is within walking distance, so that would be OK. Well, we'll still have to see.
*****
The kids are off school today. We've invited some friends over to play. My basement floor will soon not be visible. I looked at it for one last time tonight. It's so pretty. It'll be covered in toys in a few short hours. *sigh* I may not be around very much today. The boys' mother will be joining me for a hot beverage. I'll make tea for her and coffee for me. Not a big fan of tea. That's hot tea, to you Americans. You all confuse me with your hot tea and sweet tea and whatever. When I waited tables, sometimes Americans would get all confused when they ordered tea and got a pot of hot water and a tea bag on the side. Still others preferred their iced tea unsweetened. Ew. So now I have to brew a pot of tea and pour it over ice.
Hey, former waitresses and Horton's counter staff, fast food workers and retail sales clerks! Tell me your stories!


25 Comments:
Sounds like watching the other child may be just right for you. I've done it several times myself and am just not cut out for it. But the money is good and the convenience can't be beat.
Oh and just so you know, *this* American likes her tea, hot.
That is great Seana! It is much better than waitressing! You would not have to go out at night. If you find you like it maybe you can even take in another kid. How old is the kid? DD's age?
I thought about doing that but with my 2 kids still in diaper stage and adding another it would get sticky to say the least! Although Iam open to an older child after school.
Oh yeah ...I never waitressed. I wished I had cause you can get a lot of money for not many nights of working. But I am a total klutz.
I worked as a cashier/front end supervisor in a supermarket in high school and college. I loved it!
I even went back to it this summer and liked it however it did not work out because of the way they treated me. They treat everyone as a 16 year old. Did not let me off work on time, etc.
I like hot tea. I like coffee more. I like iced coffee too. If I am offered tea I would assume it was hot. If I order iced tea they usually ask sweetened or not. I like unsweetened iced tea. Iced tea with egg salad?
My favorite waitressing story would include the Chipendales. *grin* Yep those Chipendales. I waited on them when they were in town, they gave me free tickets to the show. LOL but I wasn't old enough to get in. I called my Mom and told her I had tickets did she want them otherwise I was giving them to a girl at work. She didn't believe me, so I gave them to the girl at work.
Stories? Do you want scary stories? Funny stories? Horror stories? I have them all. I worked at McDonalds, a grocery store and as a waitress - in a pizza place, a buffet place and a titty bar.
MM: I'm not sure either. I've done babysitting before too. I think my problem is in the organisation. If I work that out (meals and activities), I think I should be OK.
Zombs: It would be 2 kids, brother and sister, both in school, one in half-days in Kindergarten, one in DD's Gr. 2 class.
Breezy: too bad you didn't get to see the show. Did your coworker like it? :-)
Momma: all stories are welcome.
*****
I was a waitress at Pizza Hut. Sounds like a confession.
Did you know that in Europe, all pizzas are "personal" size? Neither did I until a bunch of French people came in and ordered a bunch of pizza. That wasn't unusual (people would take home the leftovers, sometimes even ordering extra to take home and freeze), so I put in their order. They had WAY too much food, and nowhere to put the leftovers.
Oops.
So when the German people came in and ordered one medium for each of them, I grabbed a pan to show them how large that was. They split one medium instead.
When I worked at Subway, this guy would come in every morning and ask for a meatball and egg salad sandwich. It was the grossest thing in the world. Plus, he'd made up this name for it ("Red Dawn") and kept trying to a) ask for it by name and b) convince me to put it on the menu.
Yeeeech.
I forgot to say that I think this might be good, the babysitting. You know the family and the kids, and frankly, I have found (so far, anyway) that more kids are less trouble than less kids (i.e. one).
Momma said titty bar *giggle*
Good luck Seanna. Sounds like it might be a good idea to bring in some extra cash.
I honestly don't think I could work in a restaurant these days. When I see the waiting staff take orders without writing it down, I just know I couldn't do that.
My house is still in one piece! The kids all voluntarily decided to go outside and play! Even still, I have a really horrendous headache. I'm going to just relax for a while. 'Cause I've been working so hard today, chatting with another mommy.
*hands bob a double double*
Red Dawn? Wasn't that a bad movie from the 80s? And yes, that sounds really disgusting.
Thanks for the support, peeps.
I wanted to be a waitress on two occasions:
1. Lone Star: They rejected me because I had no previous waitress experience.
2. Hooters. Don't laugh. Okay, go ahead and laugh. And no, I don't have what you'd really call "hooters." They're more like birdies, but once you squeeze 'em into that shirt and hike 'em up, they become hooters. But I was too afraid to apply. And because they wear pantyhose - all the time. I, don't wear hose or tights, unless it's only going to be for like an hour. Hose make me sweat. Yuck!
I have lots of McDonald's stories, but Nookie doesn't want to hear them today.
And I used to babysit, but not for a living. My favorite family had 4 kids. They are now all grown up. The youngest is in high school.
I was thinking of applying for a job at Hooter's. I told DH he should be proud to tell his co-workers that his wife works there. He said no. What an oppressor.
Sorry about the headache, Seana.
*smooch*
Why did I think I had posted here? And now it is gone? Am I going crazy?
I don't remember a post from you.
I thought you were already Krazy.
:-)
I'm with Zombs! Tea? is hot, unless it's iced tea!
You should try the babysitting thing. It could work out just fine, plus you could make some extra money.
I never was a waitress, so I have no stories. :(
MM? you should get that job at Hooters! If it's what you really wnat to do.
Am I allowed to drunk post here? *grin*
Please do. I'd love to see some of this famous drunk posting.
*grin*
*struts in with drink in hand*
*dances around the blog world*
*shakes hiney*
*bumps into blog wall* Ooops. I have a habit of doing that.
Drunk stalk
seana seana banana
I'm eating bread
LOL!
*mph*
*stifled laughing*
If you make me wake up the kids, so help me...
show me your cookies!!!!!
more specifically, show me your sknickerdoodles.
Post a Comment
<< Home