New Job
I have a new job. Well, it's not so new anymore, I guess. I've been there maybe a month. I am the Volunteer Coordinator (part-time) at the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. This has largely involved sending out mass emails to people who might be interested in builds and sorting through a stack of applications. I got the job mostly for my computer skills, but it's the people skills I'm using. My interview process is apparently really easy: "You want to work here for free? You're in!" I try not to make any permanent schedule changes until I know someone wants to stay with us. I can usually count on the kids doing community service to show up, at least. For everyone's information: in Ontario, high school students have to do 40 hours community service in order to graduate. So those kids usually stay. The co-op students are reliable too. We have this one kid - I don't know what we're going to do without him when he's gone. He's just fantastic.
But I've had a couple people that I thought would be reliable just randomly not show up. Which has happened to me with breakfast at the school, too. We use proper dishes now and we make toast every day, so we need 4 people to be there in the morning. We have all our volunteers from the JK-3 holding school AND the volunteers from the 4-8 holding school to draw on. It was chaotic when we all just showed up whenever, so I wrote a schedule. Luckily, no-one seems to mind that I did that. I have no desire to be in charge of anything, but if we'd continued on as we were, we'd have been bleeding volunteers and I just can't come in every day.
Right, so the point is that one of our people has been not showing up. It bugs me because she has my phone number and just lives down the street. I'd hate to have to go all hardass on her, but hey - I gotta know if you're coming in. If not, I can find someone else. Or, actually, I've asked people to trade rather than get me to find someone. I'm not in charge.
But here's the thing - now that I've looked into some of the resources for Volunteer Coordinators that we have at work, I'm thinking I could do some stuff at the school. We need people to do all kinds of things. There are only so many regular, reliable people to work with, and now I'm not free Monday - Thursday between 9 and 1, which is inconvenient for things like class trips (I had to turn down a field trip last week) and head checks. We really need to put out a Call for Volunteers. Maybe if we had application forms at the front office... It's weird - I bet if I made people fill out forms, they'd love to come in and help, but just ask them to show up and they won't. It would all be so easy with proper organisation...
Make me stop.


9 Comments:
If you suggest this to the school you're in charge - you know that, right?
I used to schedule the library & computer room volunteers when my kid were in school & found most people were really reliable in showing up. No one wanted to be the parent whose kid had to justify their lack of responsibility.
Our protocol was that if you really couldn't make it and couldn't find your own sub - then you called me.
And congrats on the new job!!!
Thanks Swami! Yes, I am fully aware that as soon as I make a suggestion to the principal or to Parent Council, I'll be doing it.
Which is why I've been keeping it to myself. Even when the council co-chair expressed my own thoughts to me last week, I shut the hell up. And it was hard. :-)
You are too darn cute!
Congratulations. And I am super impressed with you just taking over. Sometimes people need to do that. It's like me with the T-Ball chaos. To get off track for just a moment, last week one of the coaches was not there. So the coach used the dad who normally did the batting line-up as the coach, and he told him to use me for the batting line-ups. I was so super excited. And I had those kids lined up, helmets on and ready to go. I didn't even need no stinkin' line-up card.
One of the dads did "bust my chops" a bit for calling one of the little boys "sweet pea." It was pretty funny. So for the of the day, I tried to say, "Dude."
Back to point. Sorry. I have been dealing with a volunteer situation here at my job too. We just formed a Community Invovlement Committee, and we have been tackling various projects each month. The first month we didn't do a sign-up sheet, and we didn't have a lot of response. For our last event, we made a beautiful sign-up sheet and received several responses.
I'd be happy to forward you a PDF if you are interested. Just shoot me an email at samboohoo@gmail.com.
I'm sorry about the field trips. I know that can really suck. I woudl like to be in a less-demanding job myself now as Conner is getting older.
I admire you for all your volunteer work. Congrats on a paying job, though! The volunteers at the school probably like some organization and having a schedule. It makes life easier for them.
*snort* Boo, perhaps Seana is your long lost sister?
Thanks Puffy! *I* like schedules. But I'm anal. This is well-known. :-)
And? Boo's brochures are awesome. They gave me quite a few ideas. It's all in the packaging...
You little organizer you! Go ahead and get stuff done!
Congrats, W! I know you've been looking for something to keep you occupied and this sounds like it's right up your alley.
Post a Comment
<< Home