Sunday, May 24, 2009

Various

Criminal Minds

I don't like this show anymore. There were a couple episodes I found a bit too much for me. However, DH likes the crime drama shows, so... We just finished watching an episode that seemed to be loosely based on a real-life case in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia where a pig farmer killed female prostitutes and drug addicts and disposed of their remains in the pig pen, where they were mostly consumed by the pigs. In the episode, they found 89 pairs of bloody shoes, which had belonged to the victims, who were both male and female. This reminds me of another odd case in BC where shoes with feet in them have been washing up on the coast. I found this episode disturbing. I'm not too sure why, since I watched an entire season of Dexter and loved every minute.

Canadian Politics

Feel free to skip this bit.

The Conservatives have been running attack ads on Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff for a couple weeks now. Actually, it's the same ad over and over on every damned channel. CBC had their panel discussing it the other day. The ads say that Ignatieff is "just visiting" Canada and that he has claimed England and the US as his own. As a result, we can't trust him to stick around and get the job done, whatever the job may be. Is there an election soon or something? Could the minority government that so recently had its wrist slapped not have found a better use for however much money this cost? I do think that questioning a politician's long-term intentions is legitimate, but this reeks of muck-raking. And there doesn't seem to be much muck to rake if they're stuck with quotes from 4 years ago. At that time, Paul Martin was still Liberal leader, and the PM at that. Also, Conservative attack ads are always personal. They don't talk about other agendas, they talk about people: Stéphane Dion, Gilles Duceppe and now Michael Ignatieff. In fact, I remember provincial Conservative ads slamming Dalton McGinty years ago. So the big Conservative tactic is "Their leader sucks, so vote for us," which is getting kind of old, I think.

Soccer

DS will have his first soccer practice tomorrow. DH has been impressing on me the importance of being on time. It's becoming offensive that he has so little regard for my ability to be at places on time. On Saturday, we went to meet the coach and get DS's uniform. DS and a couple of the other kids were kicking a ball around and DS took one right in the face. His nose bled all over his new uniform. :-( He wouldn't cry until we got into the car, but he was obviously hurt. It didn't scare him off, though. He says now he knows what to do if he ever sees a ball heading towards his face: he will go "like this!" And then he shows you how he'll duck and avoid, because you can't use your hands in soccer. He's so cute.

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 25, 2009 9:45:00 PM, Blogger macgyver13 said...

Hey Seana!

Yeah, I watched that same Criminal Minds episode... it was interesting, but yes, the first thing that came to mind was the B.C. pig farmer's story. It's the same thing as Law and Order - they tend to lift real-life stories as inspiration for their episodes.

You're not alone - Pene didn't find certain parts of the show to be tasteful for her, but I was okay with it. I'm from a family with numerous doctors/surgeons and we frequently have powwows around the TV watching or breaking down an operation while eating dinner - after a few times doing that, I can stomach pretty much anything by now.

Politics? Eh, same old stuff... I remember ads where the Liberals were dumping on Mike Harris and Ernie Eves en masse, so it's nothing new.

I guess they're hoping to stave off an election call where the Liberals could gang up with the NDPs and Blocs to call an early election. If people don't feel confident in Ignatieff as a result of these ads, then that's even better for the Conservatives. Problem is that if there's an election right now, Ignatieff could probably beat Harper, so the Conservatives are doing all they can to put the stink on the Liberals to keep the stink off themselves - and judging from what I'm hearing from coworkers, it's working so far.

 
At Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:23:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

This Criminal Minds did creep me out more than most. Now that you mention it I vaguely recall the BC pig farmer case. It got mention down here but was not splashed everywhere for days.

I think I will buy Dexter from Amazon. I know I will like it!

No comment on Canadian politics.

Poor DS.

 
At Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:51:00 AM, Blogger Puffy said...

Now I know why Swami eating pork loins during that show was not the best meal to have at the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home