Friday, November 28, 2008

Testing 1-2-3

The clerical/administrative tests went surprisingly well. Apparently, the world has extemely low standards, which I consistently meet. Woo!

My test scores were quite high in knowledge of Word (92%), Outlook (96%) , Excel (87%) and Powerpoint (82%). There were at least 3 questions that I found the answers for while answering other questions, but you can't go back on the test. Though my interviewer was very happy, I honestly don't consider this exceptional . Shouldn't that be a minimum for someone who makes a living as an admin? My WPM in typing was so abysmal that I'm not even going to admit what it was, except to say that it was under 40. Yeah, that bad. On the plus side, my accuracy was 97%. My accuracy in data entry was 100% for both alphanumeric and straight numeric, but my speed was slightly below average on the first and only slightly above average on the second. Luckily accuracy trumps speed.

But the fun part was language skills and math. Having majored in Linguistics, I am always interested to know what questions will be asked. I expect a certain amount of "their/they're/there", for example. There was an "it's/its" questions and one where the answer was "him and me", which made me think for a moment. Then there were the basic math word problems and some "find the next two numbers in the following sequence". Those were calming.

Then there was a personality test. One segment asked me to rate on a scale of 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree) how much I felt the given words applied to me. I was going to give a neutral score to "precise". But then I thought, well, I am precise sometimes, when the situation calls for it. Sometimes you can let things slide. I wonder what they mean by "precise", exactly. So since I was trying to precisely determine what the test meant by "precise" in order to answer the question as accurately as possible, I marked myself at 5.

9 Comments:

At Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:39:00 PM, Blogger Swami said...

Precision is always good in an employee. Him and me were the objects of a preposition? Were there grammatical or other errors on the test? I always find these amusing.

I hope you get more and a greater variety of jobs offers as a result of your test scores!

*resumes eating leftover turkey*

 
At Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

Great job. I have a tip for you...Spend more time chatting it up with us on the computer and your typing skills will improve. *grin*

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Seana said...

Swami: Yes, "him and me" were objects. There were a couple questions where you would never say that in real life. I think they just wanted to test grammar knowledge. Ack! All these people having turkey and none for me...

Bravie: you have a point. :-)

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 12:32:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

More blog posts=better typing skills.

I have a pet peeve and maybe you can answer it for me.

I think it should be: "Mom and I are going to the store." All I hear these days is: "Me and mom are going to the store."

When it's two people, shouldn't it always be "other person" and I" instead of "Me and other person." Ack! Drives me crazy.

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

?

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 12:52:00 PM, Blogger maroonclown said...

I've always gotten a kick out of people's resumes that claim "attention to detail" when it's/its riddled with errors.

Puffy - When reading the sentence, see if it makes sense if you remove either "mom" or "Me" or "I". If it does, then it's/its correct.

I am going to the store
Mom is going to the store
Me is going to the store

Mom and I are going to the store is correct.

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 12:53:00 PM, Blogger maroonclown said...

Oh, and Seana, well done on your tests.

100% accuracy is something to brag about.

 
At Monday, December 01, 2008 4:48:00 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I know, MC, I totally agree. But why does everyone on TV and in the movies say ME and....??? I cringe every time I hear it.

 
At Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:05:00 PM, Blogger Seana said...

Puffy: MC is right and that's a great way of figuring it out. The issue is: what is the subject of the sentence? Who or what is doing the action?

Why do people on TV and in the movies say things wrong? I dunno. Maybe 1) the writers have no idea, 2) the writers think they are writing conversation as it really is, or 3) some third option that I had in my head a second ago and have now forgotten...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home