More Work for Me
Not Getting Paid
I am now secretary of the Parent Council, in addition to my position as a co-ordinator for the Breakfast Program. Other Volunteer Mom is the other co-ordinator and also Madam Co-Chair of Parent Council. She tells me to shut up when I call her that.
So I typed up the minutes of the council meeting on Monday night and the attendance. Everything is nicely lined up, formatted and bulletted, as necessary to fit into my vision. I think I would really like to work with Boo one day. Every time she writes about getting little details right it just makes me all swoony.
Getting Paid
The temp agency that sends me out to do serving/catering has asked if I can come in tomorrow to do the clerical tests so they can expand the number and type of jobs they send me out on. I'm pretty flattered. I've only worked 2 shifts, but for the same people, who like me very much. So I kind of wondered if the agency just wants to get as much work out of me as they can, or if two good reports are enough to make them want to send me out more because I make them look good or something. I'm having trouble being cynical about this, but I hate to be optimistic. DH's company's stock is down to 0.45. If it stays under a dollar for too long, they'll get de-listed. Christmas is coming and our bank account is just about where it always is.


6 Comments:
I would look at it as a little bit of both. They may be trying to get the most out of you that they can but they obviously think you make them look good. Which in the end makes you look good. Just don't let them take too much advantage of you. :)
Good luck with the skill updating. Make sure they know about your clerical skills from the Parent Council. You never know when that could get you a gig.
This economy isn't too nice for Christmas, is it?
*hugs*
*big happy grin*
I would love for you to come and work for me, and this is the kind of talk I like to hear.
There are little things that I know I have discussed with my assistant that she doesn't do, and I don't want to be a total ass about it.
But:
1. I want registrations in the folders in alphabetized by company. And I want them all lined up together neatly in a paperclip inside the folder.
2. I want papers lined up perfectly before they are stapled.
3. I want her to stop adding borders in Excel and to just go into the formatting tab and select "show gridlines." I really lose it when there are blank empty boxes that have been bordered or not unbordered because she typed over an old document.
4. I set margins, etc. on all of the templates that worked well for five years. Why are they changed?
5. Removed staples go into the trash can, not all over the place.
6. Breaking down boxes before putting them into the recycle bin in the kitchen - is that really so hard to do?
I could go on and on, but I know the only person enjoying this is Seana, so I'll stop.
*giggle*
And I would say the two good reports might be enough. Based on past experience with temp agencies, if I got someone I really liked, I would call them to tell them.
I think it's great, and maybe it's their way of getting good quality from you in order to give it to others. It could be a win-win for both.
Sorry about DH's company. I think that is happening too much these days. Sometimes I wonder if some of this "sky falling" business is real.
Obviously they recognize your competence and think you are an asset to them! Plus, this is their busy season (I would guess) so they want to grab on to and hold tight all their best people!
Bummer about DH's company. What field is his company in? Mr Swami's bank is doing quite well (and totally without any bailout funds), just trying to work around the stupidity of the Big Bailed Out Banks - who are stil being stupidly run! Too bad money can't cure stupid/bad/incompetent management.
Thanks, Bravie!
Hello, Billy! I actually just added the secretary bit to my resume. Then I had to fiddle with the margins so that it would still fit on one page. *waves to Boo*
Boo: I absolutely enjoyed that. You're so cute. RE: Filing - My former boss filed things alphabetically by subject. If a subject started with "K", it went in the "K" file. Anywhere in the "K" file. *shudder* If I needed info on our Macs, it was under "C" for "Computers". AAAAAAH! A couple months after I started, he went away on business for a week and I refiled everything. And then created a "Contacts" database with a huge keyword index so he could figure out which company he was looking for and then go find it in the colour-coded files: suppliers, customers, regulatory, academic, etc. Then we were both happy.
I completely agree on your 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Swami: *blush* Thanks! I will be happy to get more work, provided I don't have to go scrambling for a sitter. DH's shifts rotate, which makes things difficult. DH's company makes boxes, which always reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they go on a lame field trip to the box factory. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home